Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Davy Propper is a classy player that needs to concentrate a bit more, so as not to lose possession in dangerous positions. Doesn't mean we should get rid.
Matty Ryan is a decent keeper who never lets us down, I've no idea why people feel they need to blame him for every goal we concede, We're Brighton, we are going to be under pressure and teams will be getting plenty of chances.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would caution against getting rid of any of the players mentioned - the Brighton squad is small by PL standards and is also quite young. Most of the players being mentioned are experienced players and there is a danger of ending up with a squad of younger players without experienced heads to bring them along and act as mentors. There is also the possibility that one of the top 6 teams comes in looking for Dunk - he is a good defender and they are not easy to find - if ManU spend £80million on Maguire then there could be a big cheque dangled for Dunk and it would be very hard to stop him leaving.

It is clear where the team needs upgrading - but in my view that should be done in addition to keeping the players that are here and expanding the squad. If you want to progress you need to build up a good squad of players and try and have a gradual turnover as certain players get more experience.

The squad small. Yes Connolly, Lamptey, etc are small but the squad is only allowed to be 25 max unless you have youngsters. We have a stronger squad than many especially down the bottom of the league.To me it's actually the older players that are holding us back at times.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Or, we improve.
Give you an example. Beginning of the season RB was so poor that one of our most promising players, and a player who'd NEVER played there, Alzate, plays RB.
Now we have Lamptey, he cost 4 million.
So we can improve, in every postion.
We are Brighton. It's not about individuals, it's about improving as a group

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Gross, Mooey, Stephens All to slow Gross Connolly not very good

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the only thing stopping this side from breaking into the Top 10 is the absence of a top centre forward.

It is easy to say Duffy, Gross, Stephens, March need to move on, but they've all made useful contributions and have 3 seasons of Prem nous.

I think Schelotto, Ali J, Andone need to leave, while Glenn is a legend but doesn't have the legs for the Prem any more.

I think Bloom may have seen enough since lockdown to persuade him to put his hand in his pocket for a striker.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I have watched every minute of Matt Ryan’s Brighton career.

Love the guy, but he is not a top tier goal keeper in my opinion. Does not make enough worldie saves.

And yes makes a lot of tippy tappy passes which is good for stats, but also makes errors in doing so (first goal tonight is one example).

Completely agree with this. Lots of goals go in that aren’t errors as such, but you feel a top drawer keeper could save them. The second tonight a case in point.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I know. I understand that, but he clearly is not great at it.

Well normally he is very good at it.
However it should really be going into Propper after several rounds of playing between the centre backs and full backs,drawing the opposition out to the flanks, leaving Propper in space to turn and attack.

Liverpool don't fall for it though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the only thing stopping this side from breaking into the Top 10 is the absence of a top centre forward.

It is easy to say Duffy, Gross, Stephens, March need to move on, but they've all made useful contributions and have 3 seasons of Prem nous.

I think Schelotto, Ali J, Andone need to leave, while Glenn is a legend but doesn't have the legs for the Prem any more.

I think Bloom may have seen enough since lockdown to persuade him to put his hand in his pocket for a striker.

I haven’t written Jahanbakhsh off just yet. Some signs this season that there’s a PL in there.

Separately, will Montoya accept missing out to a youngster?

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Agree. A top striker who makes the ball stick and can score over 10 would totally transform the team. Not that that is that easy to find. But I think that is the key. Love Maupay but he needs to play off someone not be numero uno.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Hard facts

Propper too slow - been awful since restart
Dale too slow
Montoya too slow
Gross too slow
Schelotto not good enough
March not good enough
Duffy love him but not good enough on ball
Ryan not making enough saved he should
Ali face doesn’t fit
Locadia
Andone
Murray

We’ve got a lot of dead wood to shift.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Hard facts

Propper too slow - been awful since restart
Dale too slow
Montoya too slow
Gross too slow
March not good enough
Duffy love him but not good enough on ball
Ryan not making enough saved he should
Ali face doesn’t fit
Locadia
Andone
Murray

We’ve got a lot of dead wood to shift.

But.....
Propper too slow - been awful since restart- replace with Molumby
Dale too slow- sign DM
Montoya too slow
Gross too slow
March not good enough- replace with Cochrane
Duffy love him but not good enough on ball- replace with White
Ryan not making enough saved he should- sign GK
Ali face doesn’t fit
Locadia
Andone
Murray- sign tallish, youngish, goodish striker

And we're really not far off. IMHO squad is WAY too big atm.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So we are getting billionaire owner/country and blowing FFP and the budget and risking the future stability of the club? Great.
Sorry but I would keep every single one of those players over that.
Progression will be slow and sustainable. Get used to it. It is the sensible way.

Villa brought in 14 new players including internationals, at a cost of £145m .... that overhaul’s working well :lolol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Those who want rid of Propper and Ryan. Thank **** you lot have zero influence over the squad. What a bunch on morons.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
So we are getting billionaire owner/country and blowing FFP and the budget and risking the future stability of the club? Great.
Sorry but I would keep every single one of those players over that.
Progression will be slow and sustainable. Get used to it. It is the sensible way.

The question was who isn't good enough for the Potter revolution and they are the facts. What we can afford is a different question.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally change has to be gradual. You can’t stand still but you also don’t want to change to much and lose to much identity. Duffy, Stephens, Murray, Propper and others are experienced pros who have the right attitude when they are on the pitch. Potter has eased some of these out slowly this season with the idea of introducing a more dynamic side based around pace and youth but has called on them when needed. Duffy seems to have a replacement made already in Ben white. CM does need a revamp to a point with Stephens the obvious one to move on but I’d hate to see us waste money like plucky did on players like Billings as I’d rather have Stephens every day of the week. Stoke were a team who moved players along to quick and look at them now. Villa spent shed loads on dross and Bournemouth are suffering for spending vast sums on average players who are half as good as the players they let go who were not deemed good enough.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Current squad could challenge for the top 10 Bloom (or was it Barber?) spoke about. No panic to clear out a lot of players. Let three or four reserves go and add one or two quality players.

The secret greater ambition would need more changes and we'll see that happening gradually.

You really haven’t got the hang of NSC have you?

HALF OF OUR PLAYERS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

(and the other half are also not good enough if the first half are not involved at the moment...)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Seems some on here should maybe go and be villa fans since as they love the idea of sounding huge sums of cash so much.
We have spent over a decade building to this point and people are already demanding we tear it down! It is crazy.

Nobody is demanding we 'tear it down'. They are saying that some of the squad need to be replaced-and some do. Evolution.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here