Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, the question at the top of this thread is definitely "Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?"

No the question at the top of this thread is:-

'I'm a mealy mouthed small minded tosspot who can't take any joy from the team I 'support', who wants to join me sticking the knife in?'.

I came away from that game almost buzzing like we'd won.
I certainly left feeling better than I have from games we have actually won.

The Albion, my Albion, gave Liverpool a fudging good run for their money.
They were hanging on in parts.
My team influenced their substitutions.
We scored a beautiful goal.
2 of their players should have been sent off, because they couldn't cope with the Albion.

The team was young, vibrant, attacking and positive.

At this point the likes of [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] will chip in to call me delusional, again - so what I'm supposed to be, I'm a FAN, short for fanatic.

This thread is all that is wrong.
With the final whistle still ringing out we get:-

'Who's shite?'

Well I'll tell you who's shite:-

Norwich
palace.
Villa.
West Ham.
Burnley.
Southampton.
Tottenham.
Newcastle

and all the other teams that haven't laid a glove on Liverpool this season.
While the Albion have taken them to the wire twice.

I'm gonna post some pictures of flowers to cheer myself up!

Last edited:

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
In answer to the question, I think ALL the players who have played regularly this season are 'good enough for the Potter revolution' - undoubtedly there are better players somewhere out there for every position. Our very healthy goals against total suggests that, notwithstanding the odd error such as Propper's pass last night, the players have proved very capable at playing out from the back and trying to maintain possession as well as getting in the blocks and making saves. We gave the Champions League holders and league champions a very good game last night and should be mighty proud of our club, players and coaches.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You see I differ with you on this.
Whilst not many outright howlers there are a number this season he’ll be disappointed with.

I really don’t want this to be a scapegoat discussion, because I’m not saying get rid or anything dramatic....

Most recent Utd home, the first was poor and he’ll know he should have got closer to the second (deflection or not), but harsh to hammer him on that one.

I can name a host of others as well but am not going down that road.

His handling is good, when he actually comes for anything - but he has a tendency not to, whether that’s because Dunk/Duffy and Webster are good I don’t know.

I don’t have a problem with his distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully agree. He’s not a bad keeper, no one is saying that.

But he is not top tier, and if we want to be a top 10 team, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to look at the keeper.

You need your goalie to make the occasional worldie. Hand on heart, I can’t remember the last time Ryan made an exceptional save.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It might be 'easier' blocking the first from point blank range, but the rebound and the rebounds rebound less so.

The thing is we watch this play out every single week.
We listen to commentators say:-

'Well the keeper had no chance there', as the ball is tw@tted in from 5 yards out.

But we don't say:-

'Ryan would have stopped that'.

So what if he can't get to a precision shot, that's one in ten games (being generous to you) and reliant on the defenders and midfielders not doing their job properly.

This is beginning to read like you would prefer Pickford in our goal.

Nobody can dive after a ball going 5 yards wide of the stanchion like Pickford can.

But that is what we train for the second and third effort - this is nothing new and was being coached in the 80’s.

But if you see a ball from further out you have more time, positioning, footwork all of which are important, but he doesn’t get to enough of them.

Look at his body language, the Arsenal one from Pepe he knew he had no chance, just a great goal (crap defending though), but Utd he was annoyed because he knew he should have done better - and you do.

Pickford overly spectacular but same as Ryan in those 6 yard situations. You largely should save those.....

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No, the question at the top of this thread is definitely "Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?"

Exactly. I don’t get why some people take this personally. We’re all fans. I hear far worse from those around me at the Amex!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I came away from that game almost buzzing like we'd won.
I certainly left feeling better than I have from games we have actually won.

The Albion, my Albion, gave Liverpool a fudging good run for their money.
They were hanging on in parts.
My team influenced their substitutions.
We scored a beautiful goal.
2 of their players should have been sent off, because they couldn't cope with the Albion.

The team was young, vibrant, attacking and positive.

up!

We really did play very well.
Thoroughly enjoyable

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Proper. Has been caught out a few times now, switches off, always has a mistake in him when playing from the back

Dale. Great pro. Great guy. But is too often chasing shadows. We can and should do better than Dale Stevens.

Matty Ryan, this choice hurts. He’s a great Aussie character, but it’s always nerve wracking watching him short passes. I also feel you want your goalie to make some worldies. Conceded too many soft goals.

Which players do you think Potter will ship out?

None of the above.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good point on Propper - it is telling he has played for Netherlands (and scored a few) as an attacking midfielder.

We're playing him pretty much as a DM which isn't his game. It would not surprise me that if he did go - he'd end up abroad playing in a better team

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think time is nearly up for Dale, sorry mate...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Propper has lost the ball in the same area a good several times directly leading to a goal twice, maybe three, and on the other occasions almost conceding, and certainly putting us on the back foot recovering from his mistake for 5 minutes.

Propper is clearly Marmite on NSC, but last night validates some posters concern. The kindest I can be is is to say that he is a liability playing in that position and I don't expect him to score anytime soon at the other end.

Matty Ryan, a good goalkeeper, but likes to kick the ball out for a throwing far too often and I expect him to do it once or twice a game. I am more shocked when he doesn't. We could do with better.

(Edit)

Argus Player Rating

DAVY PROPPER 5

Was always playing catch-up after that basic early error – not a first for him in that sort of position – which cost the opening goal.

Last edited:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Couldn't disagree more. Ryan is one of the best keepers in the league his passing stats are insane!, didn't have the best game last night but he's one of our best players and saves us way more than he costs us. Propper is a classy midfielder and usually reads the game well and starts moves definitely fits the style. Stephens is a good squad player but I agree should not be starting anymore over Bissouma and Mooy.

Players who I don't think fit Potters philosophy. Duffy, Stephens, Bernardo ( maybe ), Jahanbaksh and Schelloto possibly Gross. Everyone else I think can fit the style very well. I personally would like one of either Duffy or Stephens to stay or perhaps both as they are fantastic squad players and probably important members to team morale and club as a whole. But they will both probably not start many next season and if they want to be starting perhaps they should move on, although I would be sad to see them go.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For Jahanbakhsh? Definitely. For Murray? Maybe not.

Well AJ has some talent and could do with a season with a top Championship team.... cant see anyone offering 10 mill for him even

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ridiculous some of the comments, we are Brighton and just given Liverpool a decent game, only Man City have created that amount of chances against them. To call out players after that is well...wtf do you expect?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ridiculous some of the comments, we are Brighton and just given Liverpool a decent game, only Man City have created that amount of chances against them. To call out players after that is well...wtf do you expect?

Exactly.

This place rolls between div 4 fans selling off the family silver to a 'big' club and expecting Brazil '70 performances from everybody.

There's quite possibly fans with a foot in both camps!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well AJ has some talent and could do with a season with a top Championship team.... cant see anyone offering 10 mill for him even

Think it's far, far more likely that he will be joining PSV or Ajax, not for £10m but not that far off either considering the football world know of Ajax heavy wallet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here