Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Totally agree, before the last squad was named a site (cant remember which, football whispers or 365 most probably) listed how the squad should look based on current form and Dan Burn was in that squad.

I wouldn't swap any of Dunk, Webster and Burn for the likes of Mings, Keane and Tarkowski.

Tarkowski, statistically at least, is very much The Northern Dunk.

He and Lewis are always at/near the top of all metrics as well as in 'The Other 14' tables.

I'll hazard a guess if they had t'internet BurnleyStandChat would have an almost identical thread to this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love how Southgate has transformed the national side into a class side but still can’t understand Dunk not getting in - tomorrow is the next squad announcement - I wonder if Gareth has noticed his faultless season again (and Michael Keane being shite)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Laughable if Keane gets in ahead of Dunk again.

Even Everton have dropped him now that Mina is fit.

If Dunk does not make this squad when he is one of the most inform Englishmen in the Premier League, he must be out of Southgate's plans permanently. That would make me very sad.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Even Everton have dropped him now that Mina is fit.

If Dunk does not make this squad when he is one of the most inform Englishmen in the Premier League, he must be out of Southgate's plans permanently. That would make me very sad.

Tbh I’d have to think Burn would also have to at least be considered by Southgate. The guy has been an utter revelation his season.

Ditto Webster if he wasn’t injured.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love how Southgate has transformed the national side into a class side but still can’t understand Dunk not getting in - tomorrow is the next squad announcement - I wonder if Gareth has noticed his faultless season again (and Michael Keane being shite)

And also the fact that Tyrone Mings is hugely over-rated. A figment of the imagination of the Aston Villa fans on social media. Southgate surely can’t have missed Mings huge errrors every match?! His elevation is an absolute mystery.

Dunk MUST be in this squad. On form he is by far the best English centre back in the country at the moment.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Tbh I’d have to think Burn would also have to at least be considered by Southgate. The guy has been an utter revelation his season.

Ditto Webster if he wasn’t injured.
Webster is the most overrated player in our squad at the moment !! Mistake after mistake but because he can pull of a sexy dribble every game he's down as some kind of maldini.

I'm looking forward to seeing Duffy again and having that added threat from set pieces.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Webster is the most overrated player in our squad at the moment !! Mistake after mistake but because he can pull of a sexy dribble every game he's down as some kind of maldini.

I'm looking forward to seeing Duffy again and having that added threat from set pieces.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Duffy will be a liability in our current style I can’t wait for webby to be back. You Duffy fans have bloody short memories like he’s never made a mistake

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Dunk in the ‘bomb forward’ role rather than the anchor/quarterback role he has been covering. Let’s hope that Duffy does get some set-piece return as he won’t be creating assists and majestically pinging the ball about cross pitch like Dunk. However, he is just as good at defending and leading in my opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m reserving judgement on Dunk’s potential to replace any of the Englands CBs until I see how he does over the next three games. We have only had two games against top clubs so far and have conceded 6 in them. Let’s see how he does against the quality strikers in the upcoming tough games.

He has looked great for the most part this season but we haven’t been under the cosh too often, I imagine that is about to change. We’ll have a much better idea of how our season is likely to turn out as a team too.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Duffy will be a liability in our current style I can’t wait for webby to be back. You Duffy fans have bloody short memories like he’s never made a mistake

Whilst I accept that Duffy didn’t LOOK comfortable in the system at the start of the season, I don’t think I ever felt he was culpable for any goals we conceded. Webster is the opposite. Looks the part on the ball but he often seems to be questionable defensively. Take the Villa and Everton game for example..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I accept that Duffy didn’t LOOK comfortable in the system at the start of the season, I don’t think I ever felt he was culpable for any goals we conceded. Webster is the opposite. Looks the part on the ball but he often seems to be questionable defensively. Take the Villa and Everton game for example..

We should also be more solid at set pieces too

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

I’m not referring to this season as he’s hardly played! And I’m not questioning his defensive ability either just that he’s totally unsuited to our current style. We need fluidity from the back all that’s going to happen now on Sunday is Duffy will be targeted as a weak link with ball at his feet. Certainly Leicester and Liverpool will press him more than the others

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m reserving judgement on Dunk’s potential to replace any of the Englands CBs until I see how he does over the next three games. We have only had two games against top clubs so far and have conceded 6 in them. Let’s see how he does against the quality strikers in the upcoming tough games.

He has looked great for the most part this season but we haven’t been under the cosh too often, I imagine that is about to change. We’ll have a much better idea of how our season is likely to turn out as a team too.

Good point.

I don’t think Potterball was ready for Man City and Chelsea away; we’ll see how it (and Dunk) have developed over the next 3 fixtures.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ludicrous if he doesn’t make today’s squad. Comfortably England’s most in form CB at the moment.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’m not referring to this season as he’s hardly played! And I’m not questioning his defensive ability either just that he’s totally unsuited to our current style. We need fluidity from the back all that’s going to happen now on Sunday is Duffy will be targeted as a weak link with ball at his feet. Certainly Leicester and Liverpool will press him more than the others

A very valid point. It will be a test for him but we were pressed under Hughton. It’s not alien to him. I trust him to make the right decisions and even a ball playing team can put it in row Z if they have to. From what I’ve seen I expect Ben White to play on the right side of the three ahead of Webster and Duffy next season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here