Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
A very valid point. It will be a test for him but we were pressed under Hughton. It’s not alien to him. I trust him to make the right decisions and even a ball playing team can put it in row Z if they have to. From what I’ve seen I expect Ben White to play on the right side of the three ahead of Webster and Duffy next season

Webby won’t lose his spot after one season mate

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Webby won’t lose his spot after one season mate

I’m not so sure. Ben White looks a more complete player to me. Webster could play left but Burn is thriving and his dominance in the air is important. Could also see one of them challenging Montoya for right back.

It’s certainly an embarrassment of riches

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I’m not so sure. Ben White looks a more complete player to me. Webster could play left but Burn is thriving and his dominance in the air is important. Could also see one of them challenging Montoya for right back.

It’s certainly an embarrassment of riches

Duffy could be sold to a Southampton type dunk top 6 side if he keeps his form up then we’d have webby burn white ostigard with o’hora and Roberts pushing them

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Duffy could be sold to a Southampton type dunk top 6 side if he keeps his form up then we’d have webby burn white ostigard with o’hora and Roberts pushing them

Southampton?! You really don’t rate Duffy do you?! He was our player of the season last year ahead of Dunk and is the best player in Ireland

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It’s not that I don’t rate him he’s a decent defender in a team that needs a dominant cb he could just as easily go to Newcastle I could even see Celtic

Anyone bar the big six and Wolves for me. There will be loads of clubs monitoring the situation with big Shane right now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We have only had two games against top clubs so far and have conceded 6 in them. Let’s see how he does against the quality strikers in the upcoming tough games.

I know they aren't having a great season so far but this is a little harsh on Spurs.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Seems odd that so many are down on Duffy at the moment. What he lacks in elegance and passing ability he more than makes up for in other areas.

In the game against Norwich he played on the left, which to me sugests Potter doesnt think he and Montoya are a good fit. Burn is a better defender, leaving him less exposed and always available to help out when Shane needs him.

I think this is a smart move.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems odd that so many are down on Duffy at the moment. What he lacks in elegance and passing ability he more than makes up for in other areas.

In the game against Norwich he played on the left, which to me sugests Potter doesnt think he and Montoya are a good fit. Burn is a better defender, leaving him less exposed and always available to help out when Shane needs him.

Duffy will be fine as long as he is happy with the 'role' he needs to play. He is the solid, less mobile member of the central 3. His passing remit is to get the ball to Dunk, Burn, Montoya or Stephens, nothing more than that. Leave the fancy / risky passes to those better suited.

Defensively, he's also the one who doesn't bomb forward, he remains solid and secure; plus he's good at set pieces. As his performance showed v Norwich, the system can perfectly well accommodate him, and allow him to flourish.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As I'm still all bent out of shape about negativity on here, I'll continue in the same style.

All we get is what he can't do and how he doesn't fit.
Completely oblivious to what he can do and not only what he brings to the team, but for his future, what he brings to the top of all defensive metric charts.

As already said, there isn't a team who wouldn't be improved by Duffy.
He just happens to be playing for the only team that has gone out of it way to hoover up all the CB talent.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Duffy plays with his heart so is always 100%. Not as gifted as some but solid and does offer an alternative style which we will need at times. His heading his probably the best in the team.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Webster is the most overrated player in our squad at the moment !! Mistake after mistake but because he can pull of a sexy dribble every game he's down as some kind of maldini.

I'm looking forward to seeing Duffy again and having that added threat from set pieces.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

A tad harsh.
The lad is still only 24 and has played ,what, a mere 8 Premiership games.
He will continue to learn and has received high praise from GP , who admits mistakes will be made at the back because of the way he has asked his players to play.
I am confident he will be a great success at the club and wish him well in recovering from injury.
Meanwhile, I am sure Shane Duffy will do an excellent job for the team.
As others have said, we are really lucky to have such a decent pool of players to choose from.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The only way Lewis will force himself into an England start is to move to a more fashionable club. It’s how it works with England

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love Shane Duffy. He was comfortably my player of the season last year and I have every confidence he will do well for us whenever he plays.

However, I also think Webster is quality and will probably end up with more caps than Dunk. Yes currently Duffy is probably still better at the basic clearing/heading/tackling etc, but I think in time Webster will develop this. He is 3 years younger and in his first Premier League season. We’ve conceded 2 fewer goals this season than last season after 11 games so he’s clearly doing something right defensively though.

Overall, Webster offers more to the team with his distribution and ability to carry the ball forward which is what Potter wants. Whilst Webster will make the odd mistake with this, the higher risk for greater reward will ultimatey benefit us in the long run I believe.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m not referring to this season as he’s hardly played! And I’m not questioning his defensive ability either just that he’s totally unsuited to our current style. We need fluidity from the back all that’s going to happen now on Sunday is Duffy will be targeted as a weak link with ball at his feet. Certainly Leicester and Liverpool will press him more than the others

They certainly will. And he'll be fine. Nothing wrong with his passing. He doesn't have Dunk's range and can't dribble like Webster can, but he can play a quick 5 yard pass under pressure from an opposition press. That's all he has to do. I don't ever remember seeing Duffy caught in possession.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Duffy will be a liability in our current style I can’t wait for webby to be back. You Duffy fans have bloody short memories like he’s never made a mistake

If you're a Brighton fan, surely you should be a fan of all our players? Especially our current player of the season.

I'm an unashamed Duffy fan. I'm an unashamed Webster fan. Both bring different qualities, neither have let us down. You don't have to do one of our players down to argue the other is a better selection.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I love Shane Duffy. He was comfortably my player of the season last year and I have every confidence he will do well for us whenever he plays.

However, I also think Webster is quality and will probably end up with more caps than Dunk. Yes currently Duffy is probably still better at the basic clearing/heading/tackling etc, but I think in time Webster will develop this. He is 3 years younger and in his first Premier League season. We’ve conceded 2 fewer goals this season than last season after 11 games so he’s clearly doing something right defensively though.

Overall, Webster offers more to the team with his distribution and ability to carry the ball forward which is what Potter wants. Whilst Webster will make the odd mistake with this, the higher risk for greater reward will ultimatey benefit us in the long run I believe.

The mistakes Webster has made, has been nothing to do with his passing or dribbling out of defence. These have been immaculate

It’s the fundamentals of defending, in particular not losing his striker, where he’ll need to improve to get into the England squad. No criticism at all of the lad. A young player and his first season at this level. He is always going to be learning on the job.

If you could make an composite of Duffy and Webby you’d have some player

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The mistakes Webster has made, has been nothing to do with his passing or dribbling out of defence. These have been immaculate

It’s the fundamentals of defending, in particular not losing his striker, where he’ll need to improve to get into the England squad. No criticism at all of the lad. A young player and his first season at this level. He is always going to be learning on the job.

If you could make an composite of Duffy and Webby you’d have some player

Dan Burn...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
To answer the OP’s question: Dunky plays for one of the most under the radar clubs in the PL and an England manager takes a (big) risk picking a centre half from a (genuinely) unfashionable club. We know our history and the direction of travel of the club under Bloom but they’ll still be people out there that think we play at Withdean and play attritional football. We’re also
managed by an ‘oddity’ who makes his players sing at fan concerts. It takes a huge amount of time to change a narrative in this (any) country. Dunk also needs to have HUGE self-belief to get in a England dressing room and think “**** It” I’ll break Rashford’s legs if he tries to take the piss again in training.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here