Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
This is always spun as a problem for men to sort however ultimately more women need to watch sports. Theres a much larger percentage of Men that follow team sports, go to the games and sign up for the sports subscriptions, they spend a fortune on sports and thats why it's all geared towards men because it makes commercial sense.

Twitter and Facebook is full today of feminists calling for equal pay for Male and Women footballers but how many of them actually regularly go to watch a women's team?

I think if Women are playing for England then they should get the same as the Men playng for England. At club level it is much harder due to the revenue generated by the wormen's teams.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I think if Women are playing for England then they should get the same as the Men playng for England. At club level it is much harder due to the revenue generated by the wormen's teams.

i think pay should be more on a par. The men should earn an awful lot less.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I really enjoyed the 2 games I attended at The Amex.

Would have loved to have gone to the semi and the final.

Will I go to see BHA play this season?

Most likely not.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Great result and a pretty good match. I enjoyed the second half.
Finding all this “it’s come home” and hysteria in the papers today a bit cringe. A great day for the Lionesses and very inspiring for women and girls everywhere but it hasn’t “come home” and everybody knows it hasn’t. It’s not home until our Men’s team win. Deep down, everyone knows that.

But well done ladies! Awesome achievement.

This. As uncomfortable as it might be for some.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As does this

"Women’s football hooliganism ‘still has a long way to go’ admits FA"

https://newsthump.com/2022/08/01/womens-football-hooliganism-still-has-a-long-way-to-go-admits-fa/

I think Margate should have a team.

I had to go there late one night and was given directions to a friends house. I was told to drive along the seafront, past all the girls fighting, and turn right. A couple of hours later, I did indeed drive along the seafront, past the massive fight between the local girls, and turned right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hopefully the result will mean a lot more people going to women's games but watching your team week in week out getting beaten by the big clubs is a completely different experience to watching a winning team as the England women were.

One issue the local FAs should address is that girls youth football tends to be played on Sundays at the times that women's football is seeking supporters.

People doing a lot of talking about more investment etc etc but what the game needs is more support at grass roots level, eg more availability of pitches, officials and people prepared to run teams and help on match days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i think pay should be more on a par. The men should earn an awful lot less.

Why, just because you're jealous?

Would I be right in assuming that your protest at the grotesque wages means you never go to a men's football match, don't subscribe to Sky/BT and don't watch football on free to air!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All this nonsense about the women succeeding where the men couldn't is just hot air. The women have won the women's Euros, a weaker competition even in its own terms than the men's equivalent. And that's great and we should all enjoy it and celebrate it for what it is. But nobody talks about, say, Serena Williams succeeding where Novak Djokovic failed because men's and women's tennis are recognised as being the same sport but different competitions. (Someone will now find a cutting that proves me wrong ...)

To be honest, I believe it's being done a bit tongue in cheek and to provoke a reaction as the male competitive ego is so notoriously fragile. All the blokes sitting around taking a pop song a bit too seriously and huffing, "yeah, well done and all that....but it hasn't really 'come home' till we win it" remind me a bit of David Brent and the pub quiz.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I really enjoyed the 2 games I attended at The Amex.

Would have loved to have gone to the semi and the final.

Will I go to see BHA play this season?

Most likely not.

Me too, really enjoyed the game i went to at the Amex and all the games on TV. But I for one am definitely going to see the Albion play WSL games, today I'm booking tickets for the first game against Villa. To be honest I've little choice as both my daughters are demanding it, but kidding if I'm not excited myself!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Why, just because you're jealous?

Would I be right in assuming that your protest at the grotesque wages means you never go to a men's football match, don't subscribe to Sky/BT and don't watch football on free to air!

ooh I do love it when people get all unnecessarily confrontational. I'll answer all of your question, as it might calm your inner rage, or make you feel smug.

- I'm a season ticket holder at my local non-league team - think they get about £50 per game.

- yes to Sky/BT - it's part of my new contract with a new provider when i moved house. Not sure if i'll keep it, depends on the offer.

- yes i do watch football on free to air - though not that often.

and i'm certainly not protesting about the grotesque wages, just voicing an opinion. There are no banners being made here. I think the ladies should get more, and the men less. Simple.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

If the FA, UEFA, FIFA had balls (no pun intended) then the future of football would combine men and women in same team….the end of gender apartheid in football, simply a football team.

We would have to start with targeted quotas……like public companies have with minimum numbers of Women Directors on their Boards.

That will level the playing field instantly and open up the wealth of mend football to women…….job done.

Don’t forget, if fit enough women can now fight in front line units with the lads, I’m sure the lionesses would relish knocking the ball about with the men.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Twitter and Facebook is full today of feminists calling for equal pay for Male and Women footballers but I wonder how many of them actually regularly go to watch a women's team?

Bill Burr has a brilliant bit about the WNBA being let down by women not attending matches. I won't post it, because it doesn't really capture the mood of celebration of the women's game, but he concludes by making comparison between the tiny number of women watching women's basketball and the massive numbers watching reality TV shows that involve women tearing each other to pieces. Its a point that's worth considering when insisting that anybody who watches the men's team is a sexist if they don't watch the women's game too.

For many reasons the quality of the women's game is not, as yet, at the same level and few of us criticise people who watch the Champions League but don't watch the FA Vase. Personally, I am someone who doesn't like pulling away from traffic lights if there is a corner being taken in a park game, so won't refuse to watch unless everybody is brilliant, but it does the women's game no favours for commentators to maintain a pretence that the quality is comparable. It's obviously apparent that it isn't and not acknowledging scrappiness and errors is patronising . The players are the first to know that unforced errors need to be minimised. Having said that, the quality has improved exponentially over the last decade.

Last night will hopefully be a big push for the women's grass roots game in England. Quality will improve with better coaching, but mainly through larger and larger levels of participation. History shows that there was an audience for women's football. Fear of competition for crowds was one motivation for the disgraceful ban that the FA put in place for so many years. For me, the danger ahead is the same as in the men's game. If Chelsea, Arsenal and the two Manchester teams continue to hoover up all of the best players, the competition will become as meaningless as the top of most of the Men's game's European leagues. Its a fine balance because larger resources have obviously been needed to improve the game, but the unregulated market that comes with them risks future growth and fair competition. As I indicated, I'd as happily watch non-league football as I would watch the Champions League, but I have no interest in watching a Champions League side playing every week against non league opposition.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
This. As uncomfortable as it might be for some.

Who is this supposed to be uncomfortable for though? For me, I cannot imagine being more excited and buzzing if England's men win the Euros, than I was last night. And I'm absolutely fine with that. Bring on the World Cup next year I say, at this moment in time I'm looking more forward to that than I am the men's version in November. And I don't mind that others aren't. (Shame its going to be in Australia and New Zealand and thus shite kick off times, the only downer. A WC in Europe would have really kept the momentum going)

But what a squad. I find them so much more relatable than the gazillionaires we're going to watch prancing around in Qatar in a few months, and so so joyous.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bill Burr has a brilliant bit about the WNBA being let down by women not attending matches. I won't post it, because it doesn't really capture the mood of celebration of the women's game, but he concludes by making comparison between the tiny number of women watching women's basketball and the massive numbers watching reality TV shows that involve women tearing each other to pieces. Its a point that's worth considering when insisting that anybody who watches the men's team is a sexist if they don't watch the women's game too.

For many reasons the quality of the women's game is not, as yet, at the same level and few of us criticise people who watch the Champions League but don't watch the FA Vase. Personally, I am someone who doesn't like pulling away from traffic lights if there is a corner being taken in a park game, so won't refuse to watch unless everybody is brilliant, but it does the women's game no favours for commentators to maintain a pretence that the quality is comparable. It's obviously apparent that it isn't and not acknowledging scrappiness and errors is important is patronising . The players are the first to know that unforced errors need to be minimised. Having said that, the quality has improved exponentially over the last decade.

Last night will hopefully be a big push for the women's grass roots game in England. Quality will improve with better coaching, but mainly through larger and larger levels of participation. History shows that there was an audience for women's football. Fear of competition for crowds was one motivation for the disgraceful ban that the FA put in place for so many years. For me, the danger ahead is the same as in the men's game. If Chelsea, Arsenal and the two Manchester teams continue to hoover up all of the best players, the competition will become as meaningless as the top of most of the Men's game's European leagues. Its a fine balance because larger resources have obviously been needed to improve the game, but the unregulated market that comes with them risks future growth and fair competition. As I indicated, I'd as happily watch non-league football as I would watch the Champions League, but I have no interest in watching a Champions League side playing every week against non league opposition.

Bloody love Bill Burr and he is spot on as ever.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If the FA, UEFA, FIFA had balls (no pun intended) then the future of football would combine men and women in same team….the end of gender apartheid in football, simply a football team.

We would have to start with targeted quotas……like public companies have with minimum numbers of Women Directors on their Boards.

That will level the playing field instantly and open up the wealth of mend football to women…….job done.

Don’t forget, if fit enough women can now fight in front line units with the lads, I’m sure the lionesses would relish knocking the ball about with the men.

:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

A couple of years ago, there was a thread on what law would you introduce to football. I suggested that all professional teams should include two female players. It wasn't a well received suggestion :lolol: But I'd say the same again: it would be one thing that would be guaranteed to make changes in the way that female sport is perceived.

BTW, anyone wanting to get a grasp of some of the issues facing women in sport, I highly recommend Anna Kessel's book - Eat, Sweat, Play. It's about five or six years old but it sets out all the barrriers perfectly. The statistic that only 0.4% of sports sponsorship goes into women's sport is particularly horrifying (that may have changed now but I bet not by much).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
What I loved yesterday compared to a year ago at Wembley was England girls giving the Germans and the officials a guard of honour and sincerely applauding them for their hard work and graft just before the presentations. I don't remember Italy men doing that at all 12 months ago.

Also - and more importantly the German girls kept their silver medals on - everyone of them! Still a great achievement reaching the final. The England mens team tore off theirs immediately, very petulantly like spoilt brats. It's like being given a cheaper version of sausages from Poundland when you wanted Sainsbury's and throwing them down! :lolol:

The England men pulling off their medals last year was one of the worst pieces of bad loser petulance I've ever seen. Hated them for it. They all gave us a great month of enjoyment that raised national spirits during the pandemic and we were proud of them, coming just short but giving us all something to be proud of and celebrate. I couldn't imagine doing the same, I want to relate to them and be inspired by them and commiserate with them, but that just left a horrible sour taste in the mouth.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah, most women who play rugby start at university. What clubs are trying to do is to get them to start much younger. We surveyed our girls last year about their attitudes to rugby and an overwhelming majority said that they wish they'd started playing earlier. One encouraging sign is that there are more girls in our younger age groups but then there's a drop off when they reach 9 or 10.

I coach cricket as well and there's much, much more equality there - not 50/50 yet but it's getting close to 60/40 at the younger ages. I think that's an achievable ratio for all sports but there's a long way to go. The real challenge is teenage years as that's when a lot of girls drop out

I was taught cricket at HCGG in the 60s. My headmistress was strange, in considering that athletics was unladylike but cricket perfectly suitable. A girl in my class went on to be Sussex Ladies wicket keeper.
Every year we had a match against the Dads, and the girls invariably won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here