Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pub

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Dive but had interesting dancers

I remember being in there one lunch break (Browns 25yds up the road was too rich for me). I witnessed a builder playing pool threaten to beat up a stripper because she had moved his ball when hitching her leg up onto the table.

The toilet was interesting too. On one occasion there was no 'trap', as someone had smashed up the partitioning. Instead there was just a throne in the corner of the room open for all to see.

Anyone know if it's still open?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
haha, you're not wrong about The Clifton, had a few hairy moments in there.
Breakers wasn't much better, ( a few even hairier moments in there!)

Agree with the above two . A mate and i had the misfortune to pop in the clifton on the way into town once when it started raining after downing a pint we were both quite happy to get a soaking on the way to the fountain.

Breakers - the one where you had the dodgy walk from front to back bar for a slash.

More recently the Three Legs in Leeds City centre like a rough estate pub in centre - cheap drinks but i daren't open my mouth so the wife had to order the drinks having a local accent, some pisshead strated chatting her up being egged on by his mates - she dealt with it well then we "enjoyed" our pints very quickly and left.

Last edited:

I'd classify it as Southborough.... It's north of the (old) unigate dairy.....just :D I grew up in Rusthall!!!

I think you will find it is south of the dairy and it is definitely St John's Road opposite Skinner's School. Google Earth it? Whilst on the subject or Rusthall/TW the Toad Rock Inn (not the Tavern which was a nice pub) was strange. Was like someone had converted their front room to a pub and had lino on the floor and bright strip lights.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The Kelsey Arms isn't even the worst pub in Tunbridge Wells let alone the country.

As a rule of thumb I think the worst pubs are usually found to be next to a train station.

Railway Tavern in Luton has to be up there as does the Rocket in Coventry. Flying Scotman Kings Cross would get a mention but they have fat eastern europeans taking their clothes off so you tend to forget the pub is a hell hole.

Can't believe no one has chipped in with the Sportsman at Withdean. Awful pub, awful beer, awful staff.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I think you will find it is south of the dairy and it is definitely St John's Road opposite Skinner's School. Google Earth it? Whilst on the subject or Rusthall/TW the Toad Rock Inn (not the Tavern which was a nice pub) was strange. Was like someone had converted their front room to a pub and had lino on the floor and bright strip lights.

It was called the Toad Rock Tavern, the Toad Rock Retreat is the one that is a nice pub. The Tavern is now a private house, but yes, a truly weird little place!!

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The Kelsey Arms isn't even the worst pub in Tunbridge Wells let alone the country.

As a rule of thumb I think the worst pubs are usually found to be next to a train station.

Railway Tavern in Luton has to be up there as does the Rocket in Coventry. Flying Scotman Kings Cross would get a mention but they have fat eastern europeans taking their clothes off so you tend to forget the pub is a hell hole.

Can't believe no one has chipped in with the Sportsman at Withdean. Awful pub, awful beer, awful staff.

I'm interested to know where you think is worse. I do agree it's not the worst, but curious to find out what YOU think is lol

My own vote for worst pub in Tunbridge Wells has to go to either The Swan or the Sussex Arms. Terrible places at the wrong end of town. I also save a bit of loathing for TN4.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'm interested to know where you think is worse. I do agree it's not the worst, but curious to find out what YOU think is lol

My own vote for worst pub in Tunbridge Wells has to go to either The Swan or the Sussex Arms. Terrible places at the wrong end of town. I also save a bit of loathing for TN4.

The Roebuck was quite entertaining back in the day. Camden Road was often shut off on a Saturday afternoon, when the locals started playing up.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The Roebuck was quite entertaining back in the day. Camden Road was often shut off on a Saturday afternoon, when the locals started playing up.

What I find Ironic is that the Roebuck is now Tunbridge Wells Islamic Cultural Centre. :D

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Oh no, your right I'm far too young. But I had a little stint working at The Mitre when I was 18/19, where a lot of the ex Roebuck regulars used to drink

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Oh no, your right I'm far too young. But I had a little stint working at The Mitre when I was 18/19, where a lot of the ex Roebuck regulars used to drink

Then I must know you, the Mitre was my local for twenty years. Until it shut down and re opened, not my cup of tea now. Although being barred might have something to do with that lol.....

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Probably do, I was only there for about 3 or 4 months, then I went to the Grapevine for a bit before I went to uni. Apparently it's not called the Mitre anymore?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Nope, called the Allotment...No pool table, wooden floors, all poncy, sofas bookcases and gardening tools hanging on the walls...Shithole!!!

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
The Bentinck Hotel in Nottingham next to the station.Only can be described as a pub with rooms. Ended up staying there as a mate had booked us in as it was "cheap". We had booked 4 rooms with two beds in each. We were surprised when they guided us to a room upstairs with 8 beds crammed in to it. But the bar was open at 8am which had a certain appeal but that was the only decent thing. It had a interesting array of collapsible furniture to sit on and a floor that seemed to layered in glue. At least that is what I hoped it was. It had a decent share of dodgy characters, one was selling garden strimmers from a shopping trolley and a Tesco value bag full of green "gold" jewellery. Probably not the worst place in Nottingham but would rank high any where else.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Seriously, why do people do that to pubs?? I've been in the industry since I was 16 (started as a potwash!!), and more and more often people are turning proper pubs into metrosexual shitholes. Why would anyone hang garden tools on a f***ing wall?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I remember being in there one lunch break (Browns 25yds up the road was too rich for me). I witnessed a builder playing pool threaten to beat up a stripper because she had moved his ball when hitching her leg up onto the table.

The toilet was interesting too. On one occasion there was no 'trap', as someone had smashed up the partitioning. Instead there was just a throne in the corner of the room open for all to see.

Anyone know if it's still open?

Tarty wine bar

Browns still on form

SausageTree

Banned
May 18, 2012
The Ferry on Shoreham Highstreet won't be winning awards any time soon.

Both The Bridge and The Crown & Anchor have been revamped and are decent places to drink now, making The Ferry look even more like a hovel. A smoking area inside the blokes pisser seems a bit... slapdash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here