Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another game without a goal for Barnes...

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I've always been a fan of Mr Barnes, mainly because he plays for the football team I support.

So he didn't really have any "winning over" to do for me, however I must say there was a 10 minute period where Barnes showed how far he has come.

We were under immense pressure at 2-1. All we were doing was smacking the ball out at Barnes FACE. He was somehow expected to control this, take it down, and wait for support which was a near on impossible job if you're not ZLATAN.

Despite this not ONCE did he lose his head at his teammates or the situation. He just kept plugging away. Queue him winning a free kick and allowing the game to settle.

He then won a pen and scored it. Seemed justice for the maturity and hard work he displayed when he was doing a thankless task.

This exactly, he is a very passionate player and deserves everything he gets.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He was certainly very good on Sat. Well done Ash.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A very good performance from Ash, delighted for him

I do however struggle to see how he will make the side when everyone is fit.

I know its a squad game but I just dont see him getting any game time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A very good performance from Ash, delighted for him

I do however struggle to see how he will make the side when everyone is fit.

I know its a squad game but I just dont see him getting any game time.

People have been saying that for about 3 years now. He'll always be involved one way or another, even if it's coming off the bench. His determination and will to succeed are UNREAL.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The first goal typifies his style of play, when Ulloa or CMS return there should still be a place for him in the team with less pressure, i'm sure he will score even more goals. He is doing well just needs to control his emotions sometimes and concentrate on the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People have been saying that for about 3 years now. He'll always be involved one way or another, even if it's coming off the bench. His determination and will to succeed are UNREAL.

Both of our recent managers have rated him highly enough to prefer him over players that some NSCers see as better players. He keeps proving himself as incredibly versatile and does exactly what is asked of him, a manager's Mr Reliable rather than a makeshift misfit he is made out to be by so many to be.

How anyone who has been watching him for the last 4 years cannot see the improvement almost month on month is astonishing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have a funny feeling that we may see a team with an attacking 3 of Leo, CMS and Ashley before the season's out :whistle:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I didn't think he played that well Saturday, he's played much better recently IMO.

No doubt that will be deemed an unacceptable opinion by some :)

He was not great at Bournemouth, fantastic goal aside. He was worse against Barnsley. How recent are you talking about?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Top scorer this season as well

Er, I don't think so!

We've already established that penalties don't count, and that his first on Saturday was SO easy, that it isn't counted either. We lost against Newport, so that goal was pointless. What does that leave? Two in 15? :nono:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Er, I don't think so!

We've already established that penalties don't count, and that his first on Saturday was SO easy, that it isn't counted either. We lost against Newport, so that goal was pointless. What does that leave? Two in 15? :nono:

Also, Bournemouth was hit and hope......and certainly not the type of goal you want a centre forward to be scoring. Rule that one out.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I'm still amazed at the negativity towards Ash. His work rate is immense, and he's had to be the front man, solo, for most of the season.
For Conways goal on Saturday, it was his great intervention, robbing the Leic player and laying off to SD, that led to the goal.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He was not great at Bournemouth, fantastic goal aside. He was worse against Barnsley. How recent are you talking about?

So who in your opinion is playing well recently, bearing in mind no-one turned up for Bournemouth except a moment of genius from Barnes, and probably only Conway came out with any credit against Barnsley?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Also, Bournemouth was hit and hope......and certainly not the type of goal you want a centre forward to be scoring. Rule that one out.

It is frankly pathetic and so predictable, every time he scores, we get all the Barnes lovers on here, going on and on about it. They clearly don't pay attention either, what about that shot he completely scuffed in the warm up ? That's right poor control and a scuffed shot and he didn't even look that bothered - league 1 get rid !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Er, I don't think so!

So, to recap:

1 - Newport: doesn't count because we lost (and it's the league cup)
2 - Blackburn: penalty, doesn't count
3 - Blackburn: I'm assuming this one doesn't count because it was easier than his first v leicester (Crofts shot was spilled by the keeper and Barnes tapped in the follow up)
4 - Bournemouth: Hit and Hope, so doesn't count
5 - Leicester: Easy, doesn't count
6 - Leicester: Penalty, doesn't count

So, really, we're still waiting for Barnes to score a goal that counts.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I love those Conway threads. Richie Suvner's deserves the Most Ridiculous Football-based Thread of 2013.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here