Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich after Crofts [merged]

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just out of interest, why hasn't Gus signed his contract yet.
He had it before he went away and he keeps saying he wants to stay, sounds like a touch of the Calderons to me and a possibly a bit hypocritical.
Or maybe I'm just not seeing it through tinted lenses.:cool:

It is nothing like Calderon. Poyet is close to agreeing a deal but has gone on holiday and will sign when he is back. Calderon agreed a deal but then asked for more time so he could go and speak to other clubs. Hardly the same is it?

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Norwich after Crofts

Sorry if fixtures

Norwich City manager Paul Lambert is believed to have identified the man he wants to strengthen his midfield engine room for the challenges that lie ahead in the Championship - Brighton skipper Andrew Crofts.

With uncertainty over the future of Darel Russell, who is out of contract next month, Lambert is already looking for a possible successor, or someone to play alongside the experienced midfielder should he decide to stay put.

And Welsh international Crofts would appear to be his preferred candidate, with the Seagulls, while prizing his services, likely to accept a modest six figure fee for a player who would be able to leave for free at the end of next season.

Crofts, 25, would be able to earn considerably more at Carrow Road than he did at the Withdean Stadium, where the budget is extremely tight - while the attraction of playing his football at a higher level would also be difficult to resist.

Brighton's current player of the year, who was made skipper soon after Gus Poyet took over as manager last November, is a combative midfielder who can also play a bit, with his ability catching the eye of Wales boss John Toshack in 2005, when he was called up for the first of his 12 international appearances so far.

Born in Chatham in Kent, with a Welsh grandparent, Crofts was snapped up as youngster by local side Gillingham, making his debut as a 16-year old in 2001.

It wasn't long before he became an established player for the Gills, and he ended up making 191 appearances for the club over an eight-year period, scoring 19 goals.

Crofts eventually took on the captaincy at the Priestfield Stadium but lost it when the recently axed Mark Stimson took over as manager, and was allowed to go on loan to first Peterborough and then Wrexham before being released by the Gills last summer.

He signed a two-year deal with Brighton in June and was a key player as the club survived a poor start to the season and the sacking of manager Russell Slade to finish in a comfortable mid-table position under Poyet.

Crofts played in all but two of Brighton's league fixtures - including a 4-1 away defeat at Norwich in November and a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of the Canaries in February - and all told made 50 appearances for the club, scoring seven goals.

With the start of pre-season training still around six weeks away, and clubs traditionally reluctant to start paying new players in the middle of the summer, there is so rush to conclude the deal, although there's always a chance Lambert might make a move now to ward off interest from any other potential suitors.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Thats the second report about us being restricted to a tight budget.The same was said about Poyet last week when the rumours started about him going to Pompey.
It can`t be that tight if we are offering Poyet and Tanno a four year deal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
A modest fee? That's a joke. Who wrote this crap? He is player of the season and our captain. If Norwich want him they'll have to pay top dollar but really hope he stays.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
noooooo

whilst i would like to think Crofts would follow the dream of possible promotion with us and then moving into Falmer, you couldnt really blame him if he was tempted by guaranteed Championship football next season in a pretty decent stadium that is packed week in week out.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This is a real test of both Bloom & Poyet's promotion ambitions, budgets and how attractive we really are to decent players.

I hope he stays for all of those reasons.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We don't have a tight budget. What a load of tosh. We are about to offload alot of wages and have a loaded chairmen pushing promotion.

Also, no offence to crofts, but Norwich need a PROVEN championship midfielder if that's what they have targeted.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We don't have a tight budget. What a load of tosh. We are about to offload alot of wages and have a loaded chairmen pushing promotion.

Also, no offence to crofts, but Norwich need a PROVEN championship midfielder if that's what they have targeted.

What do you base that on because, no offence, evidence suggests otherwise?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Thats a complete joke of an article. Anyway, it wouldn't be a disaster in my opinion, despite what most people think I don't think was THAT good last season. Perhaps it was just me though.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Thats a complete joke of an article. Anyway, it wouldn't be a disaster in my opinion, despite what most people think I don't think was THAT good last season. Perhaps it was just me though.

Id imagine it was largely just you given his player of the season award, and the argus vote.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Id imagine it was largely just you given his player of the season award, and the argus vote.

Perhaps so, but I don't think he was as spectacular as some suggest. Bennett should have got player of the season, how he didn't is completely bizarre to me.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Perhaps so, but I don't think he was as spectacular as some suggest. Bennett should have got player of the season, how he didn't is completely bizarre to me.

To be honest I agree, I voted Bennett. I do like Crofts though.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

I agree with Wizard on this. Crofts is an ultra consistent 6.5 - 7/10 man who has been a good signing, a good captain for us and I hope he stays.

But let's get some perspective. He wouldn't cut it for Norwich in the championship. He is not even on a par with Chippy Carpenter, let alone Danny Wilson, Jimmy Case, Tony Grealish or Nobby Horton. Anything above £250k would be good business.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's Silly Season folks, so we should take this tittle-tattle for what it is imo. Admittedly every player has their price, but Mr P made the guy Il Capitano from the off - & I really can't see him sanctioning any move unless it's for absolutely bonkers money. As has been said already, it's gonna be a helluva long Summer...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here