Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't particularly care about other teams postponing but it does irk me that <snip> the wolves game <snip> we lost it.

My feelings are slightly less nuanced (above).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Far from convinced that being unable to field a team because you’ve sold your star player for multi millions is sending the right message to the wider football family. I’ve some sympathy with the view that newly signed players should be barred from playing in rearranged matches.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm not sure Liverpool want to avoid Brentford & Palace to make sure they have their AFCON players back.

Didn't fancy Arsenal in the League Cup though did they? Got that one postponed, I'm not in the know enough to know who was available for last week that wasn't available for the week before but clearly someone had become available. Arsenal loaned out Balogun and Maitland-Niles in order to get their game with Tottenham off. That's the most blatant contravention of the rules so far in my opinion - they knew what they were doing. At least Burnley didn't have a choice with Chris Wood.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't fancy Arsenal in the League Cup though did they? Got that one postponed, I'm not in the know enough to know who was available for last week that wasn't available for the week before but clearly someone had become available. Arsenal loaned out Balogun and Maitland-Niles in order to get their game with Tottenham off. That's the most blatant contravention of the rules so far in my opinion - they knew what they were doing. At least Burnley didn't have a choice with Chris Wood.

But only postponed the first leg a week, the second leg planned this week so AFCON makes no difference. I think Klopp has a bit more confidence in his team to deliberately postpone games.

Like I keep saying, the moment the PL caved to
Media & club pressure to ‘publish’ the guidelines to call a game off it was always going to be used by those who would want to get an advantage.

But it’s to late now - they need to say no more games postponed but then some will say it’s unfair if they do have a covid outbreak

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just heard a snippet of Sean Dyche on 5Live discussing this.

He said in training this morning they had "10 recognised first team players". It doesn't sound unreasonable that they make up the numbers with younger players, as other clubs have done already.

TBF, can any of us recognise any Burnley player other than Ashley and Dale.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Far from convinced that being unable to field a team because you’ve sold your star player for multi millions is sending the right message to the wider football family. I’ve some sympathy with the view that newly signed players should be barred from playing in rearranged matches.

They had no choice in the sale of Wood to Newcastle. He had a buyout clause which Newcastle met.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They had no choice in the sale of Wood to Newcastle. He had a buyout clause which Newcastle met.

Well....not quite. That buyout clause didn't kick in till the summer, but Burnley decided to cash in their chips on Wood this month instead.

American owners, eh.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Shocking that a fixture would be postponed. We easily have 50+ players available within the academy that would be capable of playing as would most premier league clubs

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That wouldn't be a problem for this game - Burnley 3 Watford 0 on 15th December, when Watford couldn't raise a team. There would have been no rearrangement. The idea that Watford should have the game put off when they were short staffed, but Burnley should have to play now that Watford are back up to strength - hardly fair, is it.

It's a fair point well made

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well....not quite. That buyout clause didn't kick in till the summer, but Burnley decided to cash in their chips on Wood this month instead.

American owners, eh.
Well, no. The buyout clause is put in to effectively protect the club - it is set at such a high price that no-one in their right minds will trigger it. Unfortunately and unforeseen for Burnley somebody came along sufficiently not in their right minds and paid way over the odds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, no. The buyout clause is put in to effectively protect the club - it is set at such a high price that no-one in their right minds will trigger it. Unfortunately and unforeseen for Burnley somebody came along sufficiently not in their right minds and paid way over the odds.

Yes, but that buyout clause didn't kick-in until the summer. So they didn't HAVE to take the £25m this month - but they decided to take it anyway, fully in the knowledge there was zero chance of getting anything like that type of fee for Wood from anyone once this window was shut.

That club has been loaded with debt from the buyout by the american owners (much like what the Glazers did at Man U). This was a handy windfall for the shareholders, but if I was a Burnley fan, I wouldn't expect to see much of that £25m re-invested in the squad.

And they didn't have to do that deal this month.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh. I didn’t know that.

Joining the dots, I'd say that Wood's agent probably made it known to a (desperate) NUFC that his 30 year old client might be receptive a move, and that the Burnley owners wouldn't be adverse to cashing in on him IF the buy-out clause was met, even if is was being activated 6 months early (being as they know they'd get nowhere near that for him at any point in the future).

And thus, the wheels were greased.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but that buyout clause didn't kick-in until the summer. So they didn't HAVE to take the £25m this month - but they decided to take it anyway, fully in the knowledge there was zero chance of getting anything like that type of fee for Wood from anyone once this window was shut.

That club has been loaded with debt from the buyout by the american owners (much like what the Glazers did at Man U). This was a handy windfall for the shareholders, but if I was a Burnley fan, I wouldn't expect to see much of that £25m re-invested in the squad.

And they didn't have to do that deal this month.

Oh. I didn’t know that.
I didn't know that either. What's DSRBurnley got to say about it, I wonder?

TBF, though, they'd have been mad to turn down an offer that outrageous for Wood.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I believe that was just a rumour which was incorrect. Even Chris Wood says the clause was triggered.

It was being widely reported across the media, and not just the idiot red-top comics.

Yes as Wood says the clause was triggered, but it was triggered early and it makes sense. It was in the interests of Wood, Wood's agent, Newcastle and Burnley's owners (in short-term financial terms at least). All parties wanted the deal done to get the $$$. Probably aside from Dyche, that is.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not just us - Palace / Spurs from memory. Get the games done I say - some clubs are going to have a lot of games to cram in which will lead to further injuries etc

Spurs got kicked out of the mighty Confernece league because they refused to postpone the Leicester game so they could play it then.

Three days later they postponed it for player numbers at Leicester.

They are a shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here