Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton Athletic vs Swindon Town

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As an independent observer, I've got to say I thought they looked like two fairly ordinary teams. Charlton were obviously clueless, Swindon, while they looked decent up front, are just another hoofing third division team when they get the ball at the back. Whack it out of play, or spank it forward, it matters not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza
God, I'd love it if Tony Bloom paid for a billboard poster at Charlton station. LOVE it.

Couldn't we have an NSC collection?

I think if we go up as champions and Charlton either fail to make the play-offs or fail to go up (again) then we should definitely look at doing this.

Even better if Southampton do the same! NSC could help fund it i'm sure.

Can you imagine?! A billboard near their grounds with a nice pic of The Amex and a big punchy headline... bound to get some press coverage too.

:lolol:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Couldn't we have an NSC collection?

Having recently looked into billboard advertising, I can tell you that it'll cost around:

£550 to put up a 6 sheet billboard
£700 to put up a 48 sheet billboard
£1900 to put up a 96 sheet billboard

near Charlton train station for two weeks, and it'll have a total audience of around 275,000 people...

Last edited:

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Full time 2-4

Not quite as embarrassing as it might have been until that late goal with only minutes to go ...

Until you realise that if Swindon had lost, as they surely were expected to, and Tranmere and Bristol Rovers pick up points from their games in hand, then Swindon would occupy a relegation place. Not to mention having to watch their backs, with Yeovil beating MK Dons today - who would otherwise be in a play-off place now if they had won - and have a game in hand over Swindon.

Having recently looked into billboard advertising, I can tell you that it'll cost around:

£550 to put up a 6 sheet billboard
£700 to put up a 48 sheet billboard
£1900 to put up a 96 sheet billboard

near Charlton train station for two weeks, and it'll have a total audience of around 275,000 people...

A 6 sheet is basically a bus shelter lightbox size. Surprised the 48 sheet option is only an extra £150...

For that sort of outlay we should put it somewhere to attract maximum attention of all our great friends in League 1 next season... Could be Palace, Charlton and Southampton all in the third tier (stranger things have happened).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bit of a surprise result that but frankly a very poor performance from Charlton, can't think what went wrong.

Charlie Austin

Mar 13, 2010
May well have saved Wilsons job.

League 1 is f***ing poor. Weakest the league has been for years. Charlton are nowhere near as good as they were last season and I stuck a tenner on us at 3/1 so very pleased with that. They are lucky that the league is crap - their side would have been midtable last season.

As noted above - Alan O'Brien is awful, but McGovern has been piss poor for most of this season despite a great season last time around.

Austin is gone this month - but what a man. By far the best striker in this league. :bowdown:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
May well have saved Wilsons job.

League 1 is f***ing poor. Weakest the league has been for years. Charlton are nowhere near as good as they were last season and I stuck a tenner on us at 3/1 so very pleased with that. They are lucky that the league is crap - their side would have been midtable last season.

As noted above - Alan O'Brien is awful, but McGovern has been piss poor for most of this season despite a great season last time around.

Austin is gone this month - but what a man. By far the best striker in this league. :bowdown:

If this league is so poor and given your current league position you must have seriously overachieved last season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By far the best striker in this league. :bowdown:
I think you mean he's by far your best player. Quality striker that he is, there must be 4 or 5 strikers who might be considered best striker in the league. Are you sure Austin is far better than Pilkington, Makail-Smith, Murray, Lambert, Rhodes, Mellor or even Lee Hughes?

Charlie Austin

Mar 13, 2010
If this league is so poor and given your current league position you must have seriously overachieved last season.
The league is awful - we didn't overachieve last season, the reason we are doing so bad this season is that we lost three key players and haven't replaced them. We are a much different side from last season (much worse) yet are still only 5 points away from the play offs. The standard is piss poor.

I think you mean he's by far your best player. Quality striker that he is, there must be 4 or 5 strikers who might be considered best striker in the league. Are you sure Austin is far better than Pilkington, Makail-Smith, Murray, Lambert, Rhodes, Mellor or even Lee Hughes?
:fishing:

Good effort.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Not quite as embarrassing as it might have been until that late goal with only minutes to go ...

Until you realise that if Swindon had lost, as they surely were expected to, and Tranmere and Bristol Rovers pick up points from their games in hand, then Swindon would occupy a relegation place. Not to mention having to watch their backs, with Yeovil beating MK Dons today - who would otherwise be in a play-off place now if they had won - and have a game in hand over Swindon.
and now they are only 5 points of a play off place - very bizarre league this year indeed, I think this is a wonderful opportunity for us to escape league 1 if we can maintain our form for the second half of the season

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Agreed, he's a great striker, but no way is he "the best by miles". However Pilkington is a winger is he not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here