Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Unpopular opinion, but isn’t there a good chance that PL Deniz Undav will be nowhere near as effective as Bundesliga Deniz Undav?

Getting circa £20m for a player that wasn’t even in our squad in the season just finished could be a very nice boost to the transfer kitty.
Though he had proved towards the end, he actually was quite lethal given the opportunity

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Though he had proved towards the end, he actually was quite lethal given the opportunity
He certainly showed that there was a player in there and had a good goal/min ratio, but let’s be honest, we were all fairly ambivalent about him going on loan for the season last summer, weren’t we?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He certainly showed that there was a player in there and had a good goal/min ratio, but let’s be honest, we were all fairly ambivalent about him going on loan for the season last summer, weren’t we?
I wasn’t 😃 Seriously, I really wasn’t, having followed him at USG…..
I still think he’s very good.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think Stuttgart are trying hard to get him for less than their option price, but if they let him go to the euros without having taken the option, they are not going to get him at all. Still doesn't mean he will be with us next season though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a spectacularly shit couple of weeks as an Albion fan after a few years riding a wave of success , peaking in Europe. Now even Dennis Undav doesn't want to play for us.

Bloom and Barber really need to pull off an masterstroke appointment and back it up with a great transfer window, otherwise it feels like we really are in a spot of bother.

The only slight consolation is the recent weeks of Palace success means all their players being linked with moves, hopefully Fabrizio gets involved there.
Undav has family reasons for staying in Germany, or so I am led to believe. I may have mentioned this previously.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wasn’t 😃 Seriously, I really wasn’t, having followed him at USG…..
I still think he’s very good.
To be fair, I’ve just re-read the first 2-3 pages and there’s a bit more dissapointment than I remember.

I still think it could be a mistake to think that he’ll thrive in the PL in the same way he has this season, particularly as he seems keen to stay there.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I’d love Deniz to come back, but I also want him to want to come back. If he really wants to stay in Germany & we get around £15-£20m in the transfer budget then fair enough. An unhappy unmotivated Deniz playing in a tougher league isn’t going to score anywhere near the amount he did last season anyway.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's been so open about it that he's obviously trying to do his best to force this move through, which I guess is fair enough, but we need to hold out for the most amount of money we can. No need to be doing a Champions league club a discount.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
He's been so open about it that he's obviously trying to do his best to force this move through, which I guess is fair enough, but we need to hold out for the most amount of money we can. No need to be doing a Champions league club a discount.
Particularly given said CL club may lose their better striker this summer, in Guirassy. Stuttgart will be in a pickle if they lost both Guirassy, and Undav returned to us.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
We don't know the reasons for Undav going on loan - several official sources has given us different explanations.

Either way it was the right call at the time imo. £30m Brazilian Neal Maupay coming in, Enciso getting something of a breakthrough at the end of last season, Fergie looking lethal last year and Welbeck still around as the bit-of-everthing experienced option. Based on that, it looked like he'd really struggle for game time, and the loan deal was on paper the right decision.

Worked out well in the end. We'll sell this soon to be 28-year-old for £15m-£20m, probably bringing in a new striker. I don't know what 18 Bundesliga goals translate to in the PL - 10? - but its not like we're selling the future Champions League top scorer or anything.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Only indirectly related to Undav's future but Stuttgart have already made a number of signings, many of them on frees or for small fees. Not intimately familiar with these names but look like smart acquisitions.

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    156.6 KB · Views: 46

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Only indirectly related to Undav's future but Stuttgart have already made a number of signings, many of them on frees or for small fees. Not intimately familiar with these names but look like smart acquisitions.
I expect his move to Stuttgart may also depend on any fee received for Guirassy. He's 28, but a €17.5m release clause stays active this summer

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The calculation has chanced with Deniz in my opinion since RDZ left.

It was difficult to see where he fitted in with an RDZ team. Most manager's would absolutely love to have such a prolific goalscorer in their team though. I very much hope Stuttgart don't meet the release clause

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The calculation has chanced with Deniz in my opinion since RDZ left.

It was difficult to see where he fitted in with an RDZ team. Most manager's would absolutely love to have such a prolific goalscorer in their team though. I very much hope Stuttgart don't meet the release clause
It is what it is now, this boat has sailed he isn't coming back and has made that clear he does not want to.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is what it is now, this boat has sailed he isn't coming back and has made that clear he does not want to.
He has made his preference clear, but he hasn't said returning here is going to crush him. Even if Stuttgart clme up with the option price for the transfer, we could still offer Undav an improved contract here that he might then prefer to take, over what Stuttgart can pay him.
The new coach might be someone that really wants him, especially if he makes a good showing at the Euros and a deal is still to be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here