Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He has made his preference clear, but he hasn't said returning here is going to crush him. Even if Stuttgart clme up with the option price for the transfer, we could still offer Undav an improved contract here that he might then prefer to take, over what Stuttgart can pay him.
The new coach might be someone that really wants him, especially if he makes a good showing at the Euros and a deal is still to be done.
I hope your right to be fair.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I wonder if Undav’s assumably “back stabbing” comments that irritated him were made with RDZ or players in mind or the club as a whole. There could be a way back from one but not the other.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I wonder if Undav’s assumably “back stabbing” comments that irritated him were made with RDZ or players in mind or the club as a whole. There could be a way back from one but not the other.
I’m not sure that comment even specifically relates to BHA or any other club/player. Isn’t he just essentially saying “some people prefer to say these things secretly, but I prefer to be more open”. He’s just speaking generally. I don’t think he is suggestion anyone at Brighton has been talking behind his back.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I’m not sure that comment even specifically relates to BHA or any other club/player. Isn’t he just essentially saying “some people prefer to say these things secretly, but I prefer to be more open”. He’s just speaking generally. I don’t think he is suggestion anyone at Brighton has been talking behind his back.
Good!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I read it as the club basically saying you can go last summer (for reported personal reasons) and then this summer making it difficult for Stuttgart to agree a fee.

I'd be annoyed if I wanted to leave my current job and my employer made it harder than it should be after saying I could leave with their blessing.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I read it as the club basically saying you can go last summer (for reported personal reasons) and then this summer making it difficult for Stuttgart to agree a fee.

I'd be annoyed if I wanted to leave my current job and my employer made it harder than it should be after saying I could leave with their blessing.
His latest quote indicates that those personal reasons for needing to be in Germany have passed.

“I think there are few players who would turn down an offer from FC Bayern. Everyone wants to move to the really big clubs at some point: Man City, Real [Madrid], Barcelona. That is the last big step that I want to achieve at some point and I give everything for it every day.”

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
With respect to whatever your profession is, I'm going to guess that your contract of employment doesn''t represent a £20m intagible asset to your employer that they'd be writing off if you wanted to go and work for a competitor.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

If Stuttgart pay the fee he can go, if they don’t he can’t, sounds fair and reasonable to me and Undav will just have to suck it up if Stuttgart choose not to stump up. If they are going to try and play hardball with TB they have not done their due diligence imo.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
If Stuttgart pay the fee he can go, if they don’t he can’t, sounds fair and reasonable to me and Undav will just have to suck it up if Stuttgart choose not to stump up. If they are going to try and play hardball with TB they have not done their due diligence imo.
Then we have a player who doesn't want to be here and downs tools after the hope and expectation of playing Champions League. We then end up offloading him for much less in the January window. It makes no sense to be 100% rigid on the fee for all parties.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we can milk Stuttgart, or anyone else, for £20m we'll re-confirm our status as geniuses in the transfer market. He's had the season of his life and won't notch 10 league goals in a top tier league again.
How many of his games did you watch in the Bundesliga, out of interest?

Presumably quite a few to be able to confidently make that claim.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Then we have a player who doesn't want to be here and downs tools after the hope and expectation of playing Champions League. We then end up offloading him for much less in the January window. It makes no sense to be 100% rigid on the fee for all parties.
Time to call the bluff on players who down tools and give them the choice of playing or training alone for months. Downing tools seems to be the very easy way out for players here now, and we fold every time. Caicedo, Cucurella, Trossard and Sanchez. Yes we make money but it’s not great if players know they can get away with it. Zaha tried it at Palace a few times and backed down every time and kept them in the PL almost single handed for a couple of seasons. Any other clubs had as many players doing this as us recently?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Only indirectly related to Undav's future but Stuttgart have already made a number of signings, many of them on frees or for small fees. Not intimately familiar with these names but look like smart acquisitions.
Looks like Stuttgart padding up their fringe squad with the Champions League schedule in mind. Those I know, nobody stands out. Watched Leweling quite a few times. Decent at BL2 standard but nothing special at Bundesliga level.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Deniz Undav is a fantastic point player but his overall play is not at the level required for us or the Premier League, and while he would still be a useful player I don't see us turning down £15-20m for a 28-year-old who isn't good enough to walk into our starting eleven.

Even in the case he's suddenly fine with coming back, I don't think we actually want him. Taking the money and buying another striker is my guess.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
How many of his games did you watch in the Bundesliga, out of interest?

Presumably quite a few to be able to confidently make that claim.
I've seen all the goals he scored and saw a couple of games live on Sky Sports (either with Palace playing or no competition for what to watch). Stuttgart were very good in spells this season and he had a big impact, but it felt like a team operating absolutely at the peak of their ability. I might be wrong, I expected Arsenal to drop away this season but were actually much better.

Either way, if we can bank £20m for Undav then we'll have maximised his value.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Deniz Undav is a fantastic point player but his overall play is not at the level required for us or the Premier League, and while he would still be a useful player I don't see us turning down £15-20m for a 28-year-old who isn't good enough to walk into our starting eleven.

Even in the case he's suddenly fine with coming back, I don't think we actually want him. Taking the money and buying another striker is my guess.
Taking the money is one thing, the big question is though, would we reinvest it on another player?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Taking the money is one thing, the big question is though, would we reinvest it on another player?
My prediction: yes.
Depends a little bit on the manager we get in and his preferred formation(s) and style of play, but I imagine Welbeck, Ferguson + another will be our CFs and that Pedro and Enciso will mainly play in other attacking positions.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
With respect to whatever your profession is, I'm going to guess that your contract of employment doesn''t represent a £20m intagible asset to your employer that they'd be writing off if you wanted to go and work for a competitor.
This is exactly it.

The notion we'd write off the contract of a full German international, who's been banging them in all season, who is worth millions of pounds, just because of the feelings or otherwise of the player is nonsense.

Get him back here. If we wants a move, we'll do what we always do. If we get an offer which is right for the club, we'll let him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here