Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone joins Cadiz on one season loan

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not sure that is what is being said generally. If the club and GP take him back, then there is possible redemption as in our new attacking style, he could contribute. If the club decide not to, then that is also understandable.

I'd more more astonished if people didn't want him back even though the club and management had decided to give him another go. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

You are forgetting that a great many of our fans believe the club should be signing a "20 goal a season" striker and anything else is failure..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How does he fit into the "no dickheads" policy? If Anthony Knockaert did indeed fall foul of that then it probably needs renaming the "Florin Andone" policy.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hope he does come back and am sure he can contribute, I really rate him as a player.

He was undoubtedly under used by Hughton to ours and Hughton's cost ultimately in that season. I could fully understand Andone's frustration at the time.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I hope he does come back and am sure he can contribute, I really rate him as a player.

He was undoubtedly under used by Hughton to ours and Hughton's cost ultimately in that season. I could fully understand Andone's frustration at the time.
Lol. Hughton underused him. Of course. Because he scored something like 2 goals and rarely looked very good at all other than one exceptional performance against Palace?

Potter binned him off after 3 games, where does that fit in the 'underused' scale.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Lol. Hughton underused him. Of course. Because he scored something like 2 goals and rarely looked very good at all other than one exceptional performance against Palace?

Potter binned him off after 3 games, where does that fit in the 'underused' scale.

Judging by your comments you've clearly made your mind up so no point debating with a closed mind but he did look good in a number of games when he was given the opportunity which wasn't enough. Our reliance on Murray in that season and lack of other attacking plan held us back massively and partly led to us staying up by the skin of teeth, playing dreadful football and ultimately Hughton's sacking. Andone should without doubt have been given a run in the side ahead of Murray or played alongside him at least but that never happened.

And the reason Potter got rid was because his attitude wasn't right at the time - the lack of discipline in the Southampton game and the fact he wanted away as he was fed up after the previous season, it wasn't anything to do with his ability (he also scored in Potter's first game in charge).

If his attitude is wrong again and he's a bad influence then yes we should obviously get rid but people do grow up and change and if he's improved that area, then he could be a real asset to us. I would imagine after his injury problems he has realised how short a career it is, he is really hungry and has a point to prove so I'm hopeful he could play a big part for us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I have posted his stats on these pages many times -
Nothing wrong with his goal conversion rates in the limited chances he has been given with us.

5 goals from 1182 minutes playing time, predominantly as a sub in an ultra-defensive team, feeding off scraps.
or 1 goal from 72 minutes playing under GP.

Don't think he's really ever been given a chance at the club yet.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And the reason Potter got rid was because his attitude wasn't right at the time - the lack of discipline in the Southampton game and the fact he wanted away as he was fed up after the previous season, it wasn't anything to do with his ability (he also scored in Potter's first game in charge).

We don't know if thats why he went out on loan though.

Dan Ashworth has said that the ambition of the club is that 30% of the playing minutes should be played by players who came through from the academy. He also said if we have too many players obstructing that process, its his fault and we probably have too many players.

Last summer GP was asked about Connolly getting the chance and he said they wanted to create a pathway for him, through loaning out Andone & Locadia. Nothing was said (and nothing would have been said) about attitude, but I think there is a fair chance GP wanted to do what he was hired for - to help the club reach its ambitions - and simply thought Connolly looked exciting in training sessions (as he had barely made his debut when Locadia & Andone were loaned out). In that case, it gots lots to do with Andones ability: his quality might not have been enough to warrant to deviate from the club ambition to play academy players.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Murray stayed fit and Hughton only ever played 1 striker.

As said previously, not sure if it wasn't out of Potter's hands at that point. Suspicion would be that even before Potter was appointed, Andone's 'people' had put the loan move on the table and indicated he wanted away. Potter may well have played him to convince him he was part of his plans - which clearly he was, but things had gone too far and he was allowed to leave. That is all a guess, but you saying Potter binned him off is also a guess.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
We don't know if thats why he went out on loan though.

Dan Ashworth has said that the ambition of the club is that 30% of the playing minutes should be played by players who came through from the academy. He also said if we have too many players obstructing that process, its his fault and we probably have too many players.

Last summer GP was asked about Connolly getting the chance and he said they wanted to create a pathway for him, through loaning out Andone & Locadia. Nothing was said (and nothing would have been said) about attitude, but I think there is a fair chance GP wanted to do what he was hired for - to help the club reach its ambitions - and simply thought Connolly looked exciting in training sessions (as he had barely made his debut when Locadia & Andone were loaned out). In that case, it gots lots to do with Andones ability: his quality might not have been enough to warrant to deviate from the club ambition to play academy players.

If that was really the case then I would question both Ashworth and Potter's decision making because loaning out Andone for an inferior and at the time totally inexperienced striker in Connolly and also leaving us short in numbers up front at the point would seem a bit silly. Like you, I happen to think Potter and Ashworth are very intelligent and excellent at their jobs so I just can't see it.

As you say, none of us really know what happened and they certainly wouldn't openly come out and say he was moved on because he's acting like a cock. Judging by the comments at the time around Andone, his departure and what had just happened in the Southampton game though, I think it's fairly likely he was moved on because he was as a bad apple then and from his point of view, wanted to move too at the time. And he did go to a big club playing in Europe in fairness.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Our older readers may remember Kenny Burns. Now there was a nasty player with red cards waiting to happen.

Brian Clough turned him into one of the best payers in the UK.

So it can happen and would be as big an achievement for GP as anything on the pitch.

Is that because Clough fined him every time he was sent off?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Does it matter if he gets three reds a sesaon? Gives an opportunity to another player and he gets a rest! As long as he doesn't upset the dressing room and we can handle his off days, no problem.

Three games where Brighton play at a 10 man disadvantage and give away free kicks / penalties? Yes that matters. Especially at a time where other players are out injured.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I hope he comes back and bangs 3 in his first game then people on here will be calling him the new Peter Ward.
Nothing wrong with a bit of nastiness in a front man.
Look at Costa who was at Chelsea, he was the nearest thing to an old fashioned number 9.
Loved watching him play

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Andone is a test of Potter's emotional intelligence credentials. if he cant tone him done to harness the ability and focus the passion, then i dont think its more than a cliche.

The test is for Andone, not Potter. Potter can't do it for him. He can only help. Only Andone can do it. Let's hope he can!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here