Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Furious with East Coast and Southern

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Barriers don't let advance tickets through, so get checked by staff - no way around it. Annoying as 45 minutes was enough time to cross london. Saved £20 using advances, why people use them, 45 minutes should of been enough time to cross London. London to Eastbourne was £6 with advances and I payed £4 for underground, saved a couple of quid there, wish I had a normal return now -_-

It was engineering work on the tube so no way was 45 mins enough to cross London, you could have got a super off peak travelcard for £13 with a railcard

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It was engineering work on the tube so no way was 45 mins enough to cross London, you could have got a super off peak travelcard for £13 with a railcard

TFL journey planner said 24 minutes on a different route so should of really. Was also severe delays on the District line but that didn't affect me as a train was already on the platform

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Why is that. By giving your name and address you have complied with the requirements of the law.

By refusing to buy a ticket you haven't. Refuse to buy a ticket (not a penalty fare) and the standard single to Eastbourne is about £30 you are breaking the law and can be put off at the next stop and ejected from the station.

If someone came in your pub and started supping a pint and refused to pay for it you would have them out the door pretty sharpish wouldn't you ?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
17.35 to Kings Cross left Donny 15 mins late because of a door fault and got into London nearly 20 minutes late at about 19.50. Because of this I missed my booked train at Victoria, went to the ticket office and the guy refused to let me on the next train to Eastbourne and made me pay nearly £20 to get back, as apparently the Donny to London section was "a different journey" and not Southerns problem.

Where do I stand on this ? Can I get my £20 back, if I can, who from ?

Blame your fellow Albion fans. They broke the door by trying to force it open so that their mates could get on after it was due to have left..

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
17.35 to Kings Cross left Donny 15 mins late because of a door fault and got into London nearly 20 minutes late at about 19.50. Because of this I missed my booked train at Victoria, went to the ticket office and the guy refused to let me on the next train to Eastbourne and made me pay nearly £20 to get back, as apparently the Donny to London section was "a different journey" and not Southerns problem.

Where do I stand on this ? Can I get my £20 back, if I can, who from ?

Nope. Your choice that you bought separate tickets, no doubt to save money.

That is the risk. Don't be furious, just learn the lesson of life.

Sent from Pippa Middleton's lingerie drawer.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just annoying as I had to pay £20 extra, not awfully bad as that's what I saved with the advances, will see what East Coast say though.

And was the door broken by Brighton fans ? Way it came across from the guard was that it failed to open in a first class carriage

bnfrnkln

all the lads...
Nov 2, 2009
the ministry of flair
Blame your fellow Albion fans. They broke the door by trying to force it open so that their mates could get on after it was due to have left..

this, i was behind the guys buying no less than 50, thats right 50 cans of Stella from the Pumpkin station cafe. must have cost an absoute bomb! if they got through all 50 cans then i take my hat off to them

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
By refusing to buy a ticket you haven't. Refuse to buy a ticket (not a penalty fare) and the standard single to Eastbourne is about £30 you are breaking the law and can be put off at the next stop and ejected from the station.

If someone came in your pub and started supping a pint and refused to pay for it you would have them out the door pretty sharpish wouldn't you ?

The law is that provided you have sufficient funds to pay for whatever you have ordered if you wish not and there is a dispute it then becomes a civil matter that you have to take to a civil court to get the payment. This is quite often the case when somebody refuses to pay for a meal.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The law is that provided you have sufficient funds to pay for whatever you have ordered if you wish not and there is a dispute it then becomes a civil matter that you have to take to a civil court to get the payment. This is quite often the case when somebody refuses to pay for a meal.

Read the railway bylaws, refuse to pay when you have the funds and you're on a one way trip to the nick and a fine at the courts

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is why for my away trips this season the train is always the last resort. Commuting everyday means I cant take cancellations or stupid delays/connections on my "day off" its bad enough mon-fri.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Read the railway bylaws, refuse to pay when you have the funds and you're on a one way trip to the nick and a fine at the courts

As many people have said on this and other internet threads penalty fare fines are illegal and I would take my chance on winning a court case, if it ever got that far. It will never happen because I do not use the trains other than to and from Falmer as I have said.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
had the same problem, missed the train back to hove because of the delay and the victoria line being closed ... i just ran through holding my tickets in the air and he let me pass just got on the next train when the ticket guard come i just said the guy at the barrier let me pass and he was ok about it

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
As many people have said on this and other internet threads penalty fare fines are illegal and I would take my chance on winning a court case, if it ever got that far. It will never happen because I do not use the trains other than to and from Falmer as I have said.

Read my lips I'm not talking about penalty fares I'm talking about refusing to buy a ticket for your journey

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I was refused through the barriers and told to see staff at the ticket office. I always thought if you had a delay on a previous service you can travel on the next one, obviously I was wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here