Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Furious with East Coast and Southern

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I said on a thread the other day away games where so much easier in the 80's when we had a decent rail service and one company covered the while country

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Have you ever got a train in Europe and had to put up with this nonsense ?

Exactly. When I lived in Italy the cost of a train ticket was based on the mileage, pure and simple. You go twice the distance you pay twice the price, unless it's a fast train when you pay a supplement. Easy.

None of this advance super apex saver anytime super off-peak malarkey

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Exactly. When I lived in Italy the cost of a train ticket was based on the mileage, pure and simple. You go twice the distance you pay twice the price, unless it's a fast train when you pay a supplement. Easy.

But it's like a plane apparently, don't you get it ?

Two single tickets sometimes cheaper that a return ! Genius ! Our tickets are a laughing stock.

The zoning on the underground is genius as well isn't ? Having to pay a premium for passing UNDER an area you may not want to get off at.

Last edited:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Yes, it'd be like trying to get Ryanair to book you onto a flight you were late for, due to a missed connection.
They are not obliged to compensate, and they don't understand the concept of goodwill gestures.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Absolute bollox as when we were there we had to pay a fine for being on the wrong train which cost £40 between two adults and Mini was let off for bring blonde bambino

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Absolute bollox as when we were there we had to pay a fine for being on the wrong train which cost £40 between two adults and Mini was let off for bring blonde bambino

Maybe you were on a fast train by mistake? Though I do think those "fines" are a quick and easy way of making a bit of cash, I have had it before (maybe the English accent?) and bartered it down to about half the amount

My experience of being delayed on a fast train in Italy is that a conductor walks the length of the train, handing out certified claim forms to allow passengers to get the supplement refunded. Excellent customer service.

You do have to travel on the booked train, though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What an utterly rancid system. A passenger is delayed through no fault of his own, and is completely at the mercy of the next bunch of SHYSTERS masquerading as a train "service" who use it as an opportunity to rip the shit out of one of their paying customers. And there are people on here falling over themselves to justify this theft.

Pathetic, and depressing how we have arrived at the meek shoulder-shrug acceptance of this legalised theft - because its all in the Terms and Conditions.

This f***ing country sometimes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
*Attempts (unsuccessfully) to be astounded at the thought of the Hut family actually paying real money to travel*

Oh we did, had to pay on the airport train as well as this was run by a private company and not Italian Railways, what is the world coming to

Albion Rob

We were on that train. I was going to Haywards Heath and had an ordinary day return for the HH to Victoria stretch so I was never going to have a problem. My mate was going onto Angmering and had a pre bought ticket. At Victoria his ticket let him through the barrier and on the train our tickets were checked by the guard who didn't pick up (or couldn't care) that it was for the wrong train. I've just texted him and apparently no problems at Angmering either.

The moral of the story? Keep your mouth shut!

To be honest, the Victoria line on the underground being closed was a bigger problem than the delay at Doncaster.

I've seen similar stuff to this on my travels. Once saw an Irish ticket guard, quite an anal chap, give a guy a load of hassle because he had got on a later train then the one he had booked because the earlier one he was booked on was busy and he wouldn't have got a seat. The Irish fellow got himself into quite a tizz and said the Revenue Protection guys were due to get on at the next stop and the bloke would be in all kinds of bothers. The RPGs got on and the Irish man highlighted thios passenger's heinous crime to them. They spoke to him, he explained and the RPGs just shrugged their shoulders and said: "No problem mate." He continued his journey to Eastbourne with no further hassle. I think it depends who you bump in to on the trains.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
everyone is getting very indignant about this. let be honest, the reason they stick to the rules strictly is because otherwise every scamp would buy the cheap ticket then get waht ever train they liked fiegning a lateness somewhere, which the barrier guards, train guards and whoever wouldnt be able to verify. so do you want to do away with saver fares altogether? after all they are mandated by the regulator, so maybe write to your MP (especially those in Lewes) to have the ticketing system more simple. more expensive for those planned long journeys of course, but more simple. less subsidy on the off peak and weekends might mean they can drop the commuter fares a little.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The funniest thing I saw on the trains week was a group of Chinese tourists fall foul of the "Gatwick Express". They all got on at Victoria then seemed confused when the train sailed through Gatwick without stopping and they ended up in Brighton.

I mean why would a train with "Gatwick Express" painted on the side of it stop at Gatwick? That would be too easy for everyone to understand surely.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The funniest thing I saw on the trains week was a group of Chinese tourists fall foul of the "Gatwick Express". They all got on at Victoria then seemed confused when the train sailed through Gatwick without stopping and they ended up in Brighton.

I mean why would a train with "Gatwick Express" painted on the side of it stop at Gatwick? That would be too easy for everyone to understand surely.

Dont get me started on that rolling stock. The reason for more cancellations and delays than any other on the eouthern network. And still they are allowed to run it.

At least call it what it is Gatwick always breaking down shower of shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here