Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Who cares what the New Statesman thinks?

A hard working local candidate who has put in the leg work over the last few years building up the Labour vote has been treated like dirt and thrown away for purely factional reasons. If IDS does retain his seat then it is a sad case of FAAFO for Starmer who takes peoples votes for granted.

Labour will win with a decent majority the fate of this seat will not determine the outcome of this election, so people are free to vote their conscience this time.
Hopefully their conscience is telling them to vote Tories out.

IMG_5046.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All of which stands in stark contrast to Sunak's approach of ignoring any problems and hope they go away (eg refusing to do anything re: the gambling issue until an "investigation" is completed).
Precisely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's highly likely, the place is awash with her posters and she's highly respected in the community. The Labour drop in has little support and is literally knocking on doors on her own - she's trying her best to split the anti Tory vote. The last of the local Tories are elderly racist nut jobs.
Let's get this right. You think the official labour candidate is trying to split the anti tory vote?

Let's sit down and have a good old think about that, shall we.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hopefully their conscience is telling them to vote Tories out.

View attachment 184620
Sadly some on the silly left think it is more important for their conscience to make a stand for Palestine, split the anti-tory vote and return Duncan-Smith.

And then have a massive self congratulatory celebration afterwards at the glorious exercise of free will.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm actually just repeating what Prof Sir John Curtice said. Drop 1 is more protracted than Drop 2 which lasted for the lifetime of a lettuce. With Drop 1 which I'd periodise to Jun21-Jan22, there was the drip-drip effect of Partygate info coming out. Having said that PSJC talked about two 6% point drops, and you can see that being in a tighter timescale from Sep21-Jan22, see:

View attachment 184617

Thanks. Did John Curtace explain the long drawn out fall as being due to Partygate?

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
I'm waiting for the Tory attack on Labour this week and next as they reveal themselves as the real nasty party. They will do everything including blatant lies to scare shy Tories into going to the polling station on 4th July.
Will they do that or will they go all out against Farage and reform? I noticed back to back Daily Mail front pages were going after Nigel. That in itself is quite telling I think. The Tory strategy at this point seems to be damage control so it would make more sense go after Reform voters than Labour.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's highly likely, the place is awash with her posters and she's highly respected in the community. The Labour drop in has little support and is literally knocking on doors on her own - she's trying her best to split the anti Tory vote. The last of the local Tories are elderly racist nut jobs.
You're not a kid. You know how it works. Faversham is awash with Liberal posters. But they are in fourth place in the polls. Same as it ever was.

Looks like your candidate is unlikely to make much of a dent on Labour's lead in Chingford and Woodford Green, despite your perception of overwhelming momentum. Latest poll from https://www.getvoting.org/constituency/E14001167:

1719248122992.png

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I take a passing interest in the political threads on here, but have to admit I skim through some of the ‘heavier and longer’ thoughts and, umm, wise words of the more politically inclined .

.However, whilst apppreciating that this thread largely reflects the views of those who abhor the present Government, I can’t help but feel a wee bit of sympathy for sensible politicians on both the left and right of the spectrum. I mean, who the hell would want to be an MP, let alone a high profile minister. The media shit and invasion of privacy are just two of the factors involved in the job, and let us face it, the overblown promises that are part and parcel of electioneering are just setting the poor saps up to fail, if and when they get into power. Then follows the opprobrium and worse when those hugely optimistic promises are not met pdq.
I always hope whichever party gets into power after a GE does a good job, for the good of the country, but sure as hell, and this time it will be Labour in the driving seat, it won’t be long after the honeymoon period is over that the shit will be getting ready to be thrown.
Yes, it is part of politics, but I wish them well, they will need it.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I take a passing interest in the political threads on here, but have to admit I skim through some of the ‘heavier and longer’ thoughts and, umm, wise words of the more politically inclined on here. However, whilst apppreciating that this thread is largely reflects the views of those who abhor the present Government, I can’t help but feel a wee bit of sympathy for sensible politicians on both the left and right of the spectrum. I mean, who the hell would want to be an MP, let alone a high profile minister. The media shit and invasion of privacy are just two of the factors involved in the job, and let us face it, the overblown promises that are part and parcel of electioneering are just setting the poor saps up to fail, if and when they get into power. Then follows the opprobrium and worse when those hugely optimistic promises are not met pdq.
I always hope whichever party gets into power after a GE does a good job, for the good of the country, but sure as hell, and this time it will be Labour in the driving seat, it won’t be long after the honeymoon period is over that the shit will be getting ready to be thrown.
Yes, it is part of politics, but I wish them well, they will need it.

I always want each government to succeed, in terms of stability, achieving some good things, making the UK an attractive place to invest. Wishing for 5 years of failure and getting it, means real people have been hurt.

The PM and ministers, what incredibly stressful jobs. Like football managers, they age 20 years in 10.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Will they do that or will they go all out against Farage and reform? I noticed back to back Daily Mail front pages were going after Nigel. That in itself is quite telling I think. The Tory strategy at this point seems to be damage control so it would make more sense go after Reform voters than Labour.
The question is, who do people on the right love more, Farage or the Mail?

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Adding to this, I think the more centrist, traditional Tories are trying to kill any idea of a party merger/ Farage leadership post election stone dead. They'll make Reform intolerable to grassroot memebers even if the right wing electorate at large accept them. I think they'd rather have a period in the wilderness than lose their party forever to the far right.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Sadly some on the silly left think it is more important for their conscience to make a stand for Palestine, split the anti-tory vote and return Duncan-Smith.

And then have a massive self congratulatory celebration afterwards at the glorious exercise of free will.
Literally no one in Chingford is voting due to the genocide in Palestine. They are motivated by a hatred of the Tories and a disgust at Labour's treatment of Faiza. It has always seemed odd they you have such high moral principles as a poster on NSC but seems to have no need for them when voting.
Hey ho, you obviously know more about the political shenanigans in my borough, thanks to the New Statesman than the people whose doors I've been knocking on.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
You're not a kid. You know how it works. Faversham is awash with Liberal posters. But they are in fourth place in the polls. Same as it ever was.

Looks like your candidate is unlikely to make much of a dent on Labour's lead in Chingford and Woodford Green, despite your perception of overwhelming momentum. Latest poll from https://www.getvoting.org/constituency/E14001167:

View attachment 184623
Whilst you believe feeble Labour Party data. The question was what party do you prefer? Surprisingly the Independent didn't feature on the poll.
I would love to see Labour chase the Tories out of Worthing, Shoreham, Hastings, Mid Sussex, Crawley etc. Why don't you put NSC down for an hour and go and knock on some doors and use your persuasive skills on voters. I am also an autistic dog with a bone and feel that debates on here are fun, but they aren't as useful as with angry voters who don't really know what way to turn.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Smug Farage ….. there’s one incredible way that PM Starmer could send him over the edge.

By opening negotiations with the EU on closer ties, hopefully more.

I want that anyway, but the effect of that cnts blood pressure would be priceless.
If he doesn't do this, particularly if he has a huge majority, then that will be a massive missed opportunity on his part imo. Re-joining the single market in some form is such an obvious aid to growth it really should be a no-brainer, even if it will upset a few people.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whilst you believe feeble Labour Party data. The question was what party do you prefer? Surprisingly the Independent didn't feature on the poll.
For reference…..

That data comes from ‘Best For Britain’. They are an anti-Brexit organisation committed to the UK rejoining the EU which is completely at odds with current Labour Party policy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If he doesn't do this, particularly if he has a huge majority, then that will be a massive missed opportunity on his part imo. Re-joining the single market in some form is such an obvious aid to growth it really should be a no-brainer, even if it will upset a few people.

Totally agree. Get the ball rolling before we possibly follow other nations with the current rise of nationalism. Freedom of movement for younger gens, is a must imho, sooner rather than later.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
For reference…..

That data comes from ‘Best For Britain’. They are an anti-Brexit organisation committed to the UK rejoining the EU which is completely at odds with current Labour Party policy.
Thanks for the info. It is however all the local Labour Party have on their leaflets and to say it is disingenuous would be kind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here