Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: "I know what I've got to change for next season."

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
lol,,,,,I would say that from being in the 5% group who thought Poyet was a tosser a month ago, i'm now in the 20% group. The tide is turning, the rest of you will see it when you remove the blinkers and stop living in the past and get into the present....Just out of interest, 10 points in the last 10 games(relegation form) don't you agree when the pressure is on and managers earn their corn, he has come up well short?

No, I think we will finish exactly where we deserve to. And that's not a bad effort.
Maybe people got a false sense of perspective from our freakishly brilliant start to the season.
Personally, if Gus was to go, I would be worried about who we would end up with.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
lol,,,,,I would say that from being in the 5% group who thought Poyet was a tosser a month ago, i'm now in the 20% group. The tide is turning, the rest of you will see it when you remove the blinkers and stop living in the past and get into the present....Just out of interest, 10 points in the last 10 games(relegation form) don't you agree when the pressure is on and managers earn their corn, he has come up well short?

Personally I'm happy with the season, as are the vast majority of fans, we have been competitive for the vast majority of this season with a squad made up from mainly league 1 players. I'd say the manager has exceeded expectations.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Spent well?...Are you taking the piss?....Harley(shit), Lualua(not used enough), Cms(don't play to strenghts), Vincelot, Paynter(wages), Buckley(not used enough), Razak(wages), Assuin(wages),

So every manager has a 100% record in the transfer market? Even with pots and pots of cash managers get it wrong. Gus has a limited budget I am sure if he had a never ending stream of cash our starting 11 at the beginning of the season would have been totally different.

You missed off Vicente, I can't wait to hear your opinion of him?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS is clearly out of his depth in this league! Need a finisher like kevin phillips he has been in the top goal scorers charts for donkeys years!
Bollox.

It doesn't matter how good a centre forward you are, he won't be able to score in our side.

BECAUSE YOU SO RARELY GET THE BALL.
AND WHEN YOU DO THERE'S NOT A TEAM MATE WITHIN 30 YARDS.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So every manager has a 100% record in the transfer market? Even with pots and pots of cash managers get it wrong. Gus has a limited budget I am sure if he had a never ending stream of cash our starting 11 at the beginning of the season would have been totally different.

You missed off Vicente, I can't wait to hear your opinion of him?

Ok, i will give it to you....Vicente, class act probably the best player ever to grace the stripes. Certainly in the last thirty years anyway. Shame we surround him with players who are so far off his wavelength it a joke....Vicente and Lualua against Derby were unplayable, Vicente and Buckley against Reading were pretty impressive and even a few link ups between Vicente and CMS have shown promise...But Vicente with Barnes/Dicker/Bridcutt and Navarro!!!!!..You don't really want me to state the obvious do you?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Would that be the number of yellow and red cards from last-ditch defending? Or the low number of goals scored by us because of the number of players we use to defend?

Wow, what a brilliant way to miss the point. Goals conceded is the stat, if you genuinely need the help. My point was our defence is not the problem; we don't concede many - about 6th best in goals conceded I think - the problem has been creating chances. Is that not the point you're trying to make?

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Bollox.

It doesn't matter how good a centre forward you are, he won't be able to score in our side.

BECAUSE YOU SO RARELY GET THE BALL.
AND WHEN YOU DO THERE'S NOT A TEAM MATE WITHIN 30 YARDS.

Agree completely. Decent couple of signings and a change in tactics to add more urgency in last third, like a Cardiff back in August, and cms will top score next season, hopefully with us! :)

Shame we couldn't bring back Hoskins for a few games to prove himself with us, I think he has great potential as a strike partner with cms.

3 games left, try a few things and a few new faces from dev squad. What is there to lose? 5 points is too much to make up I'm afraid

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Ok, i will give it to you....Vicente, class act probably the best player ever to grace the stripes. Certainly in the last thirty years anyway. Shame we surround him with players who are so far off his wavelength it a joke....Vicente and Lualua against Derby were unplayable, Vicente and Buckley against Reading were pretty impressive and even a few link ups between Vicente and CMS have shown promise...But Vicente with Barnes/Dicker/Bridcutt and Navarro!!!!!..You don't really want me to state the obvious do you?

Agreed Vicente is on a different planet to some of our players. Some of these players are limited L1 players. Which have had a chance at this level and been found wanting. Like I am trying to say if Gus had more money to spend he would have remedied that situation.
What I am trying to say is with one more summers spending I believe we will finally see Gus's final project for this level. Just be patient, was this season ever about promotion? Like I've always said on this board a finish between 8th - 12th is more than acceptable for this season. I expect top 6 next year though.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Not a bad season. All our expectations were raised after our unbeaten run post-Southampton victory at the Amex just after the new year.

It sounds obvious but i would like to see us score more goals next season. I can only recall Cardiff(a), Leeds(h) and Southampton(h) where we've managed to score more than 2 goals in a match.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Even if Rooney was in our team I don't think he'd have scored as many as Lambert. Without wingers we create barely any chances.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
We need more strength when playing against physical sides. Kevin Nolan must have been grinning when he saw we had Vicente, Assulin, Dicker, Navarro and Bridcutt in the middle. Hardly imposing is it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I hope so but 2nd season syndrome may kick in, put it this way given the impatience at times at the Amex if we have a poor start next season there will be carnage

"If..."

Why anyone is so impatient at what is clearly progress (ten defeats first half of the season, four in the second half) on the pitch baffles me. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been watching a top half Championship side who have improved through the season.

So yesterday was shite and the defending was awful... It was, incidentally, the first league game where either side scored more than three goals.

Gus feels he has identified the issues, and will hopefully put that into play during the summer. Until then, I'm going to get right behind the team and shout myself stupid for the rest of the season. No point in grizzling about it.

Fin.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
CMS will be banging them in for fun next season when we adapt our style and make a few good signings. That'll shut up the 'headless chicken' brigade on here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
"If..."

Why anyone is so impatient at what is clearly progress (ten defeats first half of the season, four in the second half) on the pitch baffles me. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been watching a top half Championship side who have improved through the season.

So yesterday was shite and the defending was awful... It was, incidentally, the first league game where either side scored more than three goals.

Gus feels he has identified the issues, and will hopefully put that into play during the summer. Until then, I'm going to get right behind the team and shout myself stupid for the rest of the season. No point in grizzling about it.

Fin.

Grizzling about it - where did I suggest that ?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
We need a player in the Liam Trotter mould, someone direct who can bully defenders. Probably a big Central defender, Not a massive fan of Greer. Mattock needs to sign, Reyes can go back to West Brom, Vokes needs to go back. Flog CMS for whatever we can get. Sell Barnes, Bergkamp, Harley, Painter, Vincelot, Hoskins, Navarro, Brezovan, Ankergren and then we may get somewhere. Have too many players who are not good enough in this league. Had he had a decent Goalkeeper we would be at least 10 points better off. The problem is i don't trust gus to spend our Money.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Wow, what a brilliant way to miss the point. Goals conceded is the stat, if you genuinely need the help. My point was our defence is not the problem; we don't concede many - about 6th best in goals conceded I think - the problem has been creating chances. Is that not the point you're trying to make?
You won't concede many with 7 defensive players,mind you westham put a stop to that theory yesterday:)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here