Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoax nurse found dead

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have no beef with comedians or whoever taking the piss out of the Royals, it's been happening for years, it's not that original though.....Mike Yarwood may have got some laughs in the 70s, Spitting Image and Ben Elton in the 80s blah, blah, blah. It's this stunt.......what was going to be funny?

I could see it if they phoned the palace on say the wedding day this year to announce how Wills had got some bird up the stick or Kate or something like that.......still puerile but maybe a more original and less harmless prank.

This "prank" was without any comedic merit whatsoever.........unless I am missing something.

I agree that it had no comedic merit to you or me and probably plenty of others but it was still a prank done without the intention of harm but that went too far just because the hospital allowed nurses to take outside calls knowing they had the future queen of England in residence. I might be wrong but I assume the fees this place charges for a room are slightly higher than your average Nuffield!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
All your previous talk of this nurse's stupidity misses a key point, she was only in the UK 10 years.............she may not be able to pick up on the different accents etc. It may seems stupid to you, but then getting a taxi home in Brighton is a lesson in patience these days with some drivers not having English as their first tongue. Entirely plausible Mrs Seldagho didnt get the obvious faux accents.

That's all well and good except the second nurse was the only one who divulged any information.

A local born woman who should have picked up on the silliness of the call.

But what seems silly to me is that Australia is seemingly forever seeking to advance out of its colonial past into modernity, and yet culturally it chooses to use a archaic British institution like the Royal Family as a universal source of humour? Its hardly edgy is it..........at worst its straightforward bullying, lets face it they are a sitting duck of a target and wont bite back so nil comedy brownie points there; at best given you are half way round the world and in polar opposite timezones its just f***ing gormless.

Do you know what the great irony is here? That the British press are pontificating over this feeble gag like it's the end of the world. Yet it was the same British Press that hounded Diana to her death. That's the epitome of true bullying. Not some pissy one off phone call.

Agreed?

If the DJ's want to make a statement they should be looking for targets with respect to your newer burgeoning eastern relationships, say like phoning up the Japanese Royal Family to see if they could prank them into making an apology for their county's record in WW2 or random Japanese citizens to check if they still believe the emprorer is a living God? Or maybe see if they can get through to the Chinese to find out why they have no women in their Politburo or if they still enjoy eating each other. Until this happens Australia will continue to look like an immature child unwilling to untie itself from the mother country's apron strings.

Is over reaction your forte?

The reason why you couldn't talk to those people in japan and China is because they have proper security channels in place to guard against such things.

Not a Delboy and Rodney outfit protecting the royal protocol.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Simple truth is, no phone call and that nurse would be alive....... The apologists on here can attempt to dilute the issue all you like, but you cannot escape that one telling fact.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The woman who took her life comes from a culture where bringing shame on the family is a huge issue.

That's not British culture though. The culture of the nation to which the hospital resides in and call made too.

Be honest, British culture is world renowned for being able to laugh at itself. A trait which is admired and copied by many.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Simple truth is, no phone call and that nurse would be alive....... The apologists on here can attempt to dilute the issue all you like, but you cannot escape that one telling fact.

How do you know she wouldn't have still killed herself?

What if it was something at work which lead to her actions. What if she stuffed up a medication for a patient or the like and it was that which sent her over the edge?

Your truth has no actual facts to support it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

As TB said, we don't know what other issues she had in her life that may have driven her to do what she did.

And let's be honest, 99.9999% of humour involves some ridicule. Are we suggesting we remove all humour from the world unless it's subject is an inanimate object!!!!

What are your views on hospital then? If they had a trained receptionist on duty this wouldn't have happened!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I never shared the supposed outrage prior to her suicide about the prank call in the first instance or the supposed outrage at the hospital being duped into putting the call through when contacted.

Childish and poor prank call handled pretty badly by the nurses, but all meant in good faith.

Most people make slight mistakes without any particular consequences, this time it seems people are being asked to be made culpable for a tragic loss of life when actually none are.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
As TB said, we don't know what other issues she had in her life that may have driven her to do what she did.

And let's be honest, 99.9999% of humour involves some ridicule. Are we suggesting we remove all humour from the world unless it's subject is an inanimate object!!!!

What are your views on hospital then? If they had a trained receptionist on duty this wouldn't have happened!
Ha, I refer you to my first line again,... no phone call, no death..... you are all over analyzing it,....

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Childish and poor prank call handled pretty badly by the nurses, but all meant in good faith.

So its the nurses fault then?!?..... thats nice of you.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I never shared the supposed outrage prior to her suicide about the prank call in the first instance .
Nor did most people,.... until they found the nurse dead...... not sure what your point is. If there had been no phone call, she would have been alive today.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Your bald statement adds nothing to the discussion at all.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
That's all well and good except the second nurse was the only one who divulged any information.

A local born woman who should have picked up on the silliness of the call.

Do you know what the great irony is here? That the British press are pontificating over this feeble gag like it's the end of the world. Yet it was the same British Press that hounded Diana to her death. That's the epitome of true bullying. Not some pissy one off phone call.

Agreed?

Is over reaction your forte?

The reason why you couldn't talk to those people in japan and China is because they have proper security channels in place to guard against such things.

Not a Delboy and Rodney outfit protecting the royal protocol.

Very much this

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
There is almost certainly not a hospital in this land that has a receptionist on duty 24 x 7. If you ring a hospital for updates on a patient after say 7pm ish, you will almost always get a nurse on the night shift.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nor did most people,.... until they found the nurse dead...... not sure what your point is. If there had been no phone call, she would have been alive today.

Jeeeez, you could not possibly of foreseen the consequence of this prank.

If you would like to show me your post prior to her suicide saying this might be a likely outcome then it might lend some validity to your point.

But of course you cant because you would never have thought this would occur.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is almost certainly not a hospital in this land that has a receptionist on duty 24 x 7. If you ring a hospital for updates on a patient after say 7pm ish, you will almost always get a nurse on the night shift.

What with the future Queen in a ward .... you serious.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Your bald statement adds nothing to the discussion at all.
My statement was actually right to the point of the whole issue actually, minus all this self righteous opinion on the minutiae of the incident that simply blurs the picture.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What with the future Queen in a ward .... you serious.
You were talking about the receptionists matey boy, not personal security, there would have been an attachment of the royal protection unit in the hospital, but their job isnt to answer the fookin phone for christ sake.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ha, I refer you to my first line again,... no phone call, no death..... you are all over analyzing it,....

The vast majority of suicides happen as a result of weeks, months and years of situations. It's extremely unusual for somebody to go from fine to suicidal in 3 days. Everyone who has heard the call would agree, that going from fine to a suicidal state from that call would be very rare. So your statement could only be correct in an incredibly small number of cases.

Maybe this is that extremely rare case, but probably for the first time, i completely agree with BigGully above

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here