Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins, Sparrow, Vincelot - Disgraceful treatment!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What a load of crap yet again. So bored of all this whingeing. Who complained when Johnny Dixon was left out of the squad? Or when Turienzo departed?
Hoskins is always bloody injured. Not sure what's going on with Spaz or Vincelot, but I'm not convinced that either would improve the team, so they're surplus to requirements.

How sensitive can you get?! I bet they're not crying about it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No, you're wrong. Being treated like this is completely wrong and unproffesional by the club. What exactly is their crime? Not being signed by/for another club? Hardly crime of the century, is it. It's a clear attempt to force them out and what they're earning is an irrelevance, they're under contract and we would expect them to honour it when it suits us, why should we treat them like this because it doesn't?

We are honouring their contract? I don't think you can blame the club for what was reported by the Argus. I'd be surprised if they weren't spoken to with a bit more consideration, and an honest evaluation of their future. The fact that Argus chose to sensationalise it is what their sort of journalism does I guess.

Or have I missed something that isn't conjecture?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
To be fair it's only a handful of cocks. They will be on here mouthing it off on today's match thread instead of going.

Hope you ain't talking about me I've been to almost every game since '89 through goldstone, gillingham, withdean days.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The club can't win. At the end of last season, people were saying we needed to get rid of the dead wood. Gus said that players who weren't needed had been told, or released.
Now people are whinging because it has come out who has been told that they are no longer needed?

THIS!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I should probably mention I quite like Matt Sparrow as a player, to add a bit of context to what I'm about to write.

So Poyet should be putting them in the squad just because they are contracted? Riiiiight.

Sparrow is a better option than Harley from the bench, surely? You know what you're going to get from Sparrow, Harley doesn't ever look like he cares. But it's Harley who is in the squad because he's on a longer contract on a higher wage, so is harder to move on so we'll persevere with him, despite him offering less than Sparrow because Poyet has decided he is no longer required and is trying to force him to leave. This isn't Football Manager, it's the real world.

The terms of their contract are being honoured, they're being paid, looked after, insured etc.

That's different from saying they're obliged to play. Gus sees them as surplus to requirements - for whatever reason(s). It's his (or any manager's) right to pick and drop the players he sees fit.

I'm not disputing that Gus is the man in charge and it's entirely up to him what he does with the team. I'm not saying that Sparrow, or the others, are obliged to be involved either. I'm saying leaving them off the programme and the website, like they no longer exist, is in poor taste and to me is unprofessional behaviour. I thought we had a touch more class about us than to do that sort of thing. Maybe I'm wrong. As everyone else is saying, rightly or wrongly, they're still being paid and things could be a lot worse for them, but that's not a justification of what is happening.

They've been given the opportunity to find another club whilst the transfer window is open. I suspect they haven't made much of an effort to do it, so their agents have been publicising the fact that they are available through the press. The press is hardly likely to put a positive spin on it as that doesn't sell papers.

You have no right to make that sort of assumption, for all we know they've been trying to engineer moves away since the end of last season. I know Sparrow has spoken to other clubs, and presumably the others have too. I'm not claiming to be in the know or anything like that, I'm not, but I do know that Sparrow wasn't available for free when he was talking to one club, who have since signed another central midfielder. Maybe that's changed now, but I know that earlier in the window they weren't available on frees. Which is fair enough in my opinion, they're all good players who should command a transfer fee but you can't have it both ways. You can't neccessarily get rid of players you don't want AND get fees for them.

The only thing I'm unimpressed with is the cutting them from the programme and the website. I'm not complaining they're not going to be involved, that's up to Gus and Gus alone. It's just the shoddy public treatment of them I find all shades of wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a load of crap yet again. So bored of all this whingeing. Who complained when Johnny Dixon was left out of the squad? Or when Turienzo departed?
Hoskins is always bloody injured. Not sure what's going on with Spaz or Vincelot, but I'm not convinced that either would improve the team, so they're surplus to requirements.

How sensitive can you get?! I bet they're not crying about it.

In fact Sparrow has tweeted his support several times for the team since this was published. He seems unfazed by it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We are honouring their contract? I don't think you can blame the club for what was reported by the Argus. I'd be surprised if they weren't spoken to with a bit more consideration, and an honest evaluation of their future. The fact that Argus chose to sensationalise it is what their sort of journalism does I guess.

Or have I missed something that isn't conjecture?

Where do you think the story came from? But no, I don't blame The Argus. They do what they do, and occaisonally they do it well. Apparently.

I don't think being cut out of the programme and website is "part of professional football" as you originally said, that's what I'm contesting. It's not a part of the game, it's a pretty poor show for no obvious reason in my opinion.

In fact Sparrow has tweeted his support several times for the team since this was published. He seems unfazed by it.

What would you expect him to do? It's not the players' fault what's happening.

Either way, I suspect this story is going to rumble on until the deadline when I suspect they will all have moved on and the whole sorry affair will be a mere memory. Enough of posting on NSC, time to set off to the Amex for our first goals and win of the season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have no right to make that sort of assumption, for all we know they've been trying to engineer moves away since the end of last season. I know Sparrow has spoken to other clubs, and presumably the others have too. I'm not claiming to be in the know or anything like that, I'm not, but I do know that Sparrow wasn't available for free when he was talking to one club, who have since signed another central midfielder. Maybe that's changed now, but I know that earlier in the window they weren't available on frees. Which is fair enough in my opinion, they're all good players who should command a transfer fee but you can't have it both ways. You can't neccessarily get rid of players you don't want AND get fees for them.

It was an opinion and not posted as knowledge or fact. I bow to your better knowledge of the situation (without sarcasm)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Christ on a bike. How many mangers of any club tell players they are not in their plans every f***ing day. Plus they use printed media, sky (if top end prem) etc. Its football. It happens.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Where do you think the story came from? But no, I don't blame The Argus. They do what they do, and occaisonally they do it well. Apparently.

I don't think being cut out of the programme and website is "part of professional football" as you originally said, that's what I'm contesting. It's not a part of the game, it's a pretty poor show for no obvious reason in my opinion.

The story emanated from the club by announcing that they were listing or allowing Sparrow and Vincelot to move on. What the Argus printed will not be the words used. I think the only thing the club might be criticised for is not giving them squad numbers or profiles but I'm not sure it warrants too much criticism. Sparrow and Vincelot have been given a honest appraisal of their chances and it allows them the certainty to continue their career elsewhere. They won't feature in the first team, we have no reserve set up so I can see positives for them tbh.

Anyway off to the game

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Heart on Sleeve

I agree entirely, the public treatment of them is bizarre. There is absolutely no justification for leaving them off the programme at all. That is embarrassing and very amateurish, we should be better than that. In the case of Sparrow, in particular, it's made even more baffling by the fact we have no option but to include Ryan Harley who so far hasn't offered anything, including work rate. I know who I'd rather have seen come off the bench on tuesday night.

Yep. Peter O'Sullivan was transfer-listed at one stage and then came back to be a clear "Player of the Year" a few years later. I would not have publicised my thoughts. Unless we get replacements, they need to be part of the squad in case we get an injury crisis.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
in the real world,if you don't cut the mustard,your generally told to 'f*** off'

Window Licker

May 17, 2012
I find the club's treatment of these players shockingly bad and totally unprofessional, they were signed in good faith and in the case of Sparrow played for several years, the other two were barely given a chance and now are not even listed as first team players on the website/programme.

If Gus thinks he can force them out to cover up his poor judgement of signing them in the first place and then discovering they don't fit his requirements, I think he may have a fight with the PFA. They do not deserve to be treated like this (whatever may have gone on behind the scenes) and I doubt the rest of the dressing room are impressed with the club treating contracted players in this manner.

They're shit. That's my 2 cents.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I find the club's treatment of these players shockingly bad and totally unprofessional, they were signed in good faith and in the case of Sparrow played for several years, the other two were barely given a chance and now are not even listed as first team players on the website/programme.

If Gus thinks he can force them out to cover up his poor judgement of signing them in the first place and then discovering they don't fit his requirements, I think he may have a fight with the PFA. They do not deserve to be treated like this (whatever may have gone on behind the scenes) and I doubt the rest of the dressing room are impressed with the club treating contracted players in this manner.

It's professional football. It's what happens sometimes. Now take a deep breath and put your Alan's back on. There's a good girl.

Please show me where Hoskins has been told that he no longer fits in Poyet's plans. I remember Poyet issuing him with a challenge and singing his praises before he got injured again. whilst a player is still at the club I hope that the player is given the chance to prove his worth and a chance to earn a place in the team.

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I agree with the thread starter. In addition, the language Poyet used in the press was at best, crass. To use lines like 'if they're professional, we'll pay them', isn't the way to go about things. Personally I think they're being bullied out of the club, and that doesn't sit comfortably. There are ways of going about these things.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Er .... welcome to football!

Feb 14, 2010
I agree with the thread starter. In addition, the language Poyet used in the press was at best, crass. To use lines like 'if they're professional, we'll pay them', isn't the way to go about things. Personally I think they're being bullied out of the club, and that doesn't sit comfortably. There are ways of going about these things.

How sweet. Diddumms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here