Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Your selectivity is something else. We've played 11 away games, so you've missed out on another win (against Watford). Two wins out of 11 does actually constitute an improvement from the past two seasons, when our away form has been poor.
And, in contrast to you, I'm sure Bloom did consider relegation might be an outcome when he signed Potter, and that we'd be in a fight to avoid relegation, although I'm entirely unsure what you mean by a second relegation.

In fairness, "one win in X" is a stat used by the media a lot when discussing the form of teams, and it always also means "two wins in X+1".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We weren't great against an Everton side who clearly had a point to prove (with our best player in recent weeks out injured). We had a poor game against Sheffield Wednesday. But FFS less than two weeks ago we could have beaten Chelsea, and a few days before that we did beat one of our relegation rivals quite comfortably.

If we play poorly in the next few games then I might start to waiver as these are big, crucial games, but still very much Potter In.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Your selectivity is something else. We've played 11 away games, so you've missed out on another win (against Watford). Two wins out of 11 does actually constitute an improvement from the past two seasons, when our away form has been poor.
And, in contrast to you, I'm sure Bloom did consider relegation might be an outcome when he signed Potter, and that we'd be in a fight to avoid relegation, although I'm entirely unsure what you mean by a second relegation.

I have stated the last 10 away games. The other point, clearly there should have been a comma, my bad

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Our away form is of great concern. Last 10 games 1 win 2 draws 7 defeats, 5 points. Not much improvement there. 50/50 whether we stay up or go down atm. I am sure Bloom did not consider for a second relegation would be an outcome when he signed Potter. Next 6 games will decide

I think that we are the only team to have played all of the traditional big six (Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal) away from home already this season. Although our away form is not great, we have easier away games to come. We are second to Tottenham in the table showing the difference in strength between the teams faced and the teams to left face in the run in: https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england&tid=10

The comparator has to be with the rest of the division's performance as this is how the league table works. This shows that we are 10th in the division for home form and 17th for away: https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england, compared with 16th and 18th last year: https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england_2019. This is an improvement in both areas.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think that we are the only team to have played all of the traditional big six (Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal) away from home already this season. Although our away form is not great, we have easier away games to come. We are second to Tottenham in the table showing the difference in strength between the teams faced and the teams to left face in the run in: https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england&tid=10

The comparator has to be with the rest of the division's performance as this is how the league table works. This shows that we are 10th in the division for home form and 17th for away: https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england, compared with 16th and 18th last year: https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england_2019. This is an improvement in both areas.

The last 2 seasons we have had 3 shockingly bad teams below us, this season it is 1 so we cannot be complacent again, bth we should have gone done last season, we stunk the division out for most of it, the football is much better to watch, this season, I agree

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Mid table long term, yes. This season was always going to be a relegation fight. Bloom would obviously be disappointed, but probably not shocked - he seems like a clever guy and I'm sure there's a plan how to handle things if Brighton gets relegated. There's a lot of shit owners out there without a sense of realism, but I dont think that is the case with Bloom. As for Potter and his 6 year contract I wouldnt be too surprised if he was kept even if relegation came true (of course depending on how that relegation came about).

If PB thinks Potter is likely to take us down, Potter will be gone and if Potter does take us down he will certainly be gone. It is not for me a case of looking back and comparing to CH but looking forward to other options and I believe PB will have a plan as you suggest. Of course we are doing OK right now and if the team perform as they can, we will survive. Looking forward to Saturday and Villa.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If PB thinks Potter is likely to take us down, Potter will be gone and if Potter does take us down he will certainly be gone. It is not for me a case of looking back and comparing to CH but looking forward to other options and I believe PB will have a plan as you suggest. Of course we are doing OK right now and if the team perform as they can, we will survive. Looking forward to Saturday and Villa.

I would agree with that as we/TB cannot afford to get relegated and I also do not think that GP would bring us straight back up. I am hopeful, although doubtful, that we will avoid relegation as I have said many times we do not have the ammunition ie the goalscorers to avoid it . Who you blame is the question. Players brought in since Locadia have generally not been good enough by either manager. A lot of money has been spent on average players by both CH and GP.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why? After 4 points against Bournemouth and Chelsea we lost one game to Everton, who are way better than us, by one goal and very nearly nicked a point. What’s changed from a couple of weeks ago? Win on Saturday and it will all look rosy again. People saying ‘We really are in a relegation battle now’ - er, so? What were you expecting?

It's alright, because everyone will be on cloud nine with a win on Saturday, until the next defeat, when it's back to complete doom and gloom here again :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I love watching them most of the time. We were fab against Bournemouth and for a large part against Chelsea, we changed the formation against Everton and it didn't seem to pay off. We are slightly lower than I would want us to be and about 10 points lower than we deserve to be, we must make sure we pick up at least 7 points from the next 4 games and then we will be fine

We are not playing anywhere near as well as we were earlier in the season and we need a bit of fresh impetus. Hopefully there will be a striker signing in the transfer window. Things are very much on a knife edge. Were we to lose to Villa and Bournemouth things will become critical. Win them though and there can be far more confidence for the future.

FFS! :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still keeping faith - but the next 6 games are crucial. For the first time at Brighton, Potter and his team will be under pressure - and how well they deal with the pressure will define our season (and the future).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would agree with that as we/TB cannot afford to get relegated and I also do not think that GP would bring us straight back up. I am hopeful, although doubtful, that we will avoid relegation as I have said many times we do not have the ammunition ie the goalscorers to avoid it . Who you blame is the question. Players brought in since Locadia have generally not been good enough by either manager. A lot of money has been spent on average players by both CH and GP.

Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, and Sheffield Utd have scored less goals than us.

There must be a lot of teams getting relegated this season.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We're better pound for pound result for result this year than last. People like to talk about the "at this time last year we had X" but it's the worst measure there is given the diversity of fixtures. We're doing better result for result this year than last year, simples.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Still keeping faith - but the next 6 games are crucial. For the first time at Brighton, Potter and his team will be under pressure - and how well they deal with the pressure will define our season (and the future).

Yep exactly what I was getting at.. now is where the real pressure starts.

Before any one jumps on me, I am fully backing Potter whether we go down or not, love the guys philosophy and his style. But if we lose these games I think we’re right in the thick of it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
We're better pound for pound result for result this year than last. People like to talk about the "at this time last year we had X" but it's the worst measure there is given the diversity of fixtures. We're doing better result for result this year than last year, simples.

That would make interesting reading, I think someone even posted a league on here for results against the same fixtures from last season? Can anyone update it?

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Given that we are half way through the season - we've played all the teams. So I am not sure how much sway that argument holds.

I am getting a little concerned now. But then I was when we should've beaten West Ham, Newcastle and Burnley - which would have put us 6 points further up the tree.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Given that we are half way through the season - we've played all the teams. So I am not sure how much sway that argument holds.

I am getting a little concerned now. But then I was when we should've beaten West Ham, Newcastle and Burnley - which would have put us 6 points further up the tree.

...and your maths.............

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yep exactly what I was getting at.. now is where the real pressure starts.

Before any one jumps on me, I am fully backing Potter whether we go down or not, love the guys philosophy and his style. But if we lose these games I think we’re right in the thick of it.
We are in the thick of it right now and will remain so. We have been treading water just above the relegation zone for long parts of this season. Potter's style has flaws but that is generally overlooked due to the way we play. I think we will be ok this season though but it will be tight like last season.
I personally think any manager would have been an improvement over Hughton in attacking threat.
If somebody asked me would i get rid of him i would probably say yes. I don't believe he can deliver top 10 finish with his style. Recruitment has been dreadful also which has already been pointed out.
Everytime we win a game we don't bother to win again for weeks which is so frustrating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here