Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you replace Southgate mid tournament?

Would you ditch Southgate right now?

• Yes

Votes: 136 63.8%
  • No

Votes: 77 36.2%

• Total voters

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Would someone else get more of a tune from these players, even if they were parachuted in mid-competiton?

It would be a radical thing to do, but could it be the gear shift everyone seems to need?
Get Potter straight in there

But the suits in the FA wouldn't.

More chance they'll try and persuade their vanilla yes man to sign a new contract than sack him mid tournament.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not sure it could be any worse. It might just be the radical, unexpected nove this talented team need to refocus.
I would do it, there's no future with this tactically inept manager. He simply doesn't have the tactical nous to read whats wrong and make early positive changes to alter a game.

The pressing was a shambles, players looked like they didn't know their roles or what to do.

Graham Potter is free, he'd take it imho and whilst I never want him back here, I concede he is a coach that is flexible and can make positive changes to systems and players in game to change its trajectory.

Potter has tactical nous, Southgate has very limited to none.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
IMG_4314.jpeg

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The rumours are Southgate is very popular with the players so I don’t think it would benefit the team midway through a tournament. This will be his last tournament anyway he has said as much.

And whether we like it or not will leave as the second most successful ( but country mile) England manager of all time.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Watching last night I thought Southgate had already been replaced by Potter.

Tedious, lethargic, uncreative, passionless and unbelievably boring. Been there. Watched that.

We have some glorious talent, particularly in attack (on the field, on the bench and on their holibobs), and Southgate has magically made them all look shit.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Tedious, lethargic, uncreative, passionless and unbelievably boring. Been there. Watched that.

We have some glorious talent, particularly in attack (on the field, on the bench and on their holibobs), and Southgate has magically made them all look shit.
I wonder if there was any point yesterday he looked at the bench, at Bowen, Gallagher, and wished that he'd taken Grealish instead?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The rumours are Southgate is very popular with the players so I don’t think it would benefit the team midway through a tournament. This will be his last tournament anyway he has said as much.

And whether we like it or not will leave as the second most successful ( but country mile) England manager of all time.

This second most successful thing gets bandied around, but he's not actually won anything. Being the second most successful manager out of a pile of other managers who have also won nothing for England isn't exactly a massive badge of honour. IMO anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Harsh on Potter. He's a much more tactically astute and modern manager than Southgate. Under Potter you could say we we were ponderous but even at it's worst, there weren't many games we didn't create chances - we just never seemed to take those chances, until half way through his final full season when it all seemed to click.

Southgate on the other hand is tactically useless. The DNA thread on here is spot on. Has anyone got any idea how he's trying to get them to play? He was fine in the early days when his brand of man-management picked up players low on confidence and got them back to the sort of quarter final level we're used to, and then even better. But at the highest level, he is consistently found out despite having better players to work with than his competitors. This tournament we've been staggeringly shit despite an embarrassment of riches in all but a couple of areas.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think Southgate's done ok in the past; his record of semi, final and QF in his three tournaments speaks for itself. However last night was unbelievable. England put out a starting 11 of elite-level players, and none of them seemed to know what their jobs were on the pitch. Even Bellingham looked ordinary. It was similar to the complete lack of direction we saw when we lost to Iceland.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This second most successful thing gets bandied around, but he's not actually won anything. Being the second most successful manager out of a pile of other managers who have also won nothing for England isn't exactly a massive badge of honour. IMO anyway.
Exactly. He's not the second most successful. He's the least unsuccessful. Or he's come closest to winning something. But he has still failed, like all the others bar one.

We've only ever had one successful manager of England.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
For me it’s simple, the main problem killing that team is Kane dropping so deep. I mean what the f*** was he even doing there to give the ball away for their goal?
It’s one of two things:
1. He’s doing it himself, in which case Southgate needs to step in or drop him.
2. Southgate is telling him to do this, in which case someone senior needs to have a word with Southgate.

I’ve stated before - I’d have sacked him in 2018. I think he’s out of his depth and even 6 years later he’s still making the same mistakes. We’re stuck with him for this tournament but this has got to be the end.

As a country we don’t help ourselves, shit like “dear England” should never see the light of day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wonder if there was any point yesterday he looked at the bench, at Bowen, Gallagher, and wished that he'd taken Grealish instead?
I don't have a problem with the squad he's picked, tbh, even the fact he's picked four Nigels doesn't bother me. As for Grealish, he's a flat track bully. Look at him in the Champions League games - gets the ball, don't even try and beat a half decent opponent so just pass it back and reset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here