Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you replace Southgate mid tournament?

Would you ditch Southgate right now?

• Yes

Votes: 136 63.8%
  • No

Votes: 77 36.2%

• Total voters

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Lmao no. The idiot willing to take over a team where you could get sacked with 4 points two games into the tournament... it wouldn't be worth it.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Whereas another manager with the same available players could have been the most successful
Venables had just as good squad IMHO and then there was the golden generation that won FA ( can’t remember the manager. Maybe just maybe England aren’t as good as we think they are ??

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Should we have replaced Bobby Robson when England were garbage in the early stages of Italia '90? Everyone got their heads together and improved. Other countries that have gone all the way have done the same.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Replacing him mid-tournament would be hilarious, but it isn't going to happen.

He is just so limited tactically. Bringing Gallagher on at 60 minutes (again) "because we needed some more energy in the middle". That's genuinely the sort of thing I would expect my son's Under 10 Coach to say. Was that really the best our national team manager could do? When you look at how Potter used to influence and change games in the middle of them, often two or three times in a game, it's an utter embarrassment that our national team Coach can't sort out a team with possibly the best attacking line-up on the planet to get them to dominate a bang-average international side.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He has no interest in entertainment Just about winning even if it is 1-0 and then sitting back. He has all but got to next round and will do the same and whose to say he wont get to final playing this way.. Very much like wwhat David Moyes did at West Ham. Crap to watch but won a trophy and got to Europe several times.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He has no interest in entertainment Just about winning even if it is 1-0 and then sitting back. He has all but got to next round and will do the same and whose to say he wont get to final playing this way.. Very much like wwhat David Moyes did at West Ham. Crap to watch but won a trophy and got to Europe several times.
Difference is Moyes won something, Southgate won’t

Somethingdean

May 18, 2019
It would be preposterous to sack the manager after winning one and drawing one. Everyone needs to calm down.
Actually, f*** it, let's parachute in Warnock to save the day!

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The rumours are Southgate is very popular with the players so I don’t think it would benefit the team midway through a tournament. This will be his last tournament anyway he has said as much.

And whether we like it or not will leave as the second most successful ( but country mile) England manager of all time.
He's been blessed with some of the best players we've ever had, he's terrible tactically, he should've never got the job in the first place. England will likely still get the QFinals or Semi but that won't change that he's average.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We'd all take that if it worked. I just can't see it at the moment.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The rumours are Southgate is very popular
And there in lies the problem. By the players he's seen as a brother rather than a strict father. For too long he's picked his favourites regardless of form ... or even actually playing many games.

Time for a replacement and now .... maybe Klopp would be happy for a few matches of extra money to top up his retirement fund.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I was suggesting exactly this on 60 mins to mates on a Whatsapp chat last night. Watching Southgate’s England makes me angry, even when we win. Pity the poor fans at whatever League club he ends up at when he quits England after we get knocked out. Imagine watching such clueless tactics week in week out!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It would be preposterous to sack the manager after winning one and drawing one. Everyone needs to calm down.
Actually, f*** it, let's parachute in Warnock to save the day!
We scraped a win against a very low ranked side and dodged a bullet against Denmark. Does that really give you any confidence should we go through and play a half decent team? Really?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't have a problem with the squad he's picked, tbh, even the fact he's picked four Nigels doesn't bother me. As for Grealish, he's a flat track bully. Look at him in the Champions League games - gets the ball, don't even try and beat a half decent opponent so just pass it back and reset.
I agree. The squad is fine, but I do wish he'd use it more. The last two games have been crying out for width on the left and Gordon hasn't got a minute of game time. TAA isn't a midfielder, he never has been. Why bother taking Gallagher, Mainoo and Wharton who actually play in that position if you end up playing a converted full back with known defensive weaknesses in defensive midfield? Rice is a great player, but he has do to everything in midfield at the moment.

There are also some issues that are concerning, but also may be out of his control.
  1. Foden is poor for England because he doesn't have Pep holding the controller. He's a freak of a manager in terms of attention to detail.
  2. We don't have any left backs fit that can provide width. Chilwell has been awful this season, Gomez and Colwill aren't left backs and Mitchell is another Palace player to bring down the mood. Shaw and Trippier are the only options. One is injured and the other offers no width
  3. The level of hype around this squad has been stupid. Our defence is the weakest it's been in a while and is unbalanced, our midfield is unbalanced.
However, my biggest issue is that because of his committed loyalty to the old guard, we haven't blooded any of new players into the squad prior to the tournament. We're discovering our midfield mid-tournament.

As much as I like the fact that he's freshened it up, Mainoo (4), Dunk (6), Wharton (1), Palmer (4), Eze (5), Gordon (3), Watkins (3) and Toney (1) have only minimal experience and 4 of those were capped for this first time this year.

Anyway, that said, sacking Southgate mid-tournament is madness. He's proven to take us deep in tournaments (deeper than most), he has the absolute loyalty of his squad (which would smash morale if he left now) and we do grow into competitions with him. Who knows, maybe this slow start is just great tournament management?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Should we have replaced Bobby Robson when England were garbage in the early stages of Italia '90? Everyone got their heads together and improved. Other countries that have gone all the way have done the same.
Didn’t Greece win the euros by playing some really boring football only once scoring more than 1 goal a game…..But did they care in Greece did they #%&£

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I had forgotten the game was on yesterday and had my attention on India vs Afghanistan in the t20 World Cup.
If we had another manager, I'd tune in.

So yes, I would change now (but obvs the FA won't)

He has the most talented players any England manager has had at his disposal, yet consistently serves up functional yet dull football which often comes unstuck against quality sides or in key games.

At this stage, we need a vibes man who can inspire, not a bland, average plodder with no in-game management.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would you replace Southgate mid tournament?
If I was put in charge now, no I wouldn't. It would mess with the players and it would be difficult getting someone good enough in that quick to fix it. But the point is, it should never have come to this. It's 100% the FA's fault.

As soon as we're dumped out, we need to get Klopp in asap.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes, he is absolutely clueless he should have gone after bottling it against Italy in 2021

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Southgate deserves some of the blame but I’m surprised that hardly anyone is calling out the players.

Nearly all had shocking games full of mistakes. Multiple basic passing errors, getting caught in possession and lack of fight/energy can’t all be down to the manager.

They’re supposed to be some of the best players on the planet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here