Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you replace Southgate mid tournament?

Would you ditch Southgate right now?

• Yes

Votes: 136 63.8%
  • No

Votes: 77 36.2%

• Total voters

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you sent the same players out with no instructions or strategies I'm sure they would do better.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not saying that every single individual mistake made by a player in a match is a manager's fault. Even well-coached players under talented coaches make mistakes - it's part of the game and they shouldn't get stick for it.

When there's a pattern of usually reliable players making basic errors, that suggests more than in-the-moment mistakes caused by the individual.

If Rice had confidence in making a pass (knowing where his teammates are and the likely pattern of play to follow), he'd be making the pass instead of hoofing. That's down to coaching and a clear message on how they are supposed to play and each player's role within it. The clarity allows a clear mind and better decision making because they aren't just reacting to what's in front of them.

This England team does not have a coherent plan and the root cause of that IMO is a confused midfield that lacks balance. Southgate is lost without Henderson in there and he doesn't know what to do about it. That means the players don't know either, so they are confused enough (only has to be 2% at that level) for it to put them off their game and make more mistakes.

So to answer your point, the one main cause of all this is the manager. He may not be controlling the players with a joystick and directly causing the individual mistakes, but if he was more effective at his job, the players would make fewer mistakes because they would know what they are supposed to be doing. I don't see the point in calling the players out at all.
You clearly didn't see or remember the Rice pass I'm referring to.

The players we have are so good that they should produce a decent performance regardless of the manager.

Certain posters told us that's why Potter's team did so well in his last 20 ish games with us - they are always right, so it must be true !

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Not directed at you personally, and this is a football manager job only, after all, but....

This exemplifies why we should not make decisions by referenda. The average lifespan of a government would be a month at best.

Back to the question, no, of course not. If we lose in the quarters (or sooner) Southgate is likely to walk anyway. But I would probably want him replaced and he probably will be.

And of course after we win the final group game comfortably, and dispatch our opponents in the game after, all of this Anger and Outrage will have dissipated.
I don't disagree with you at all, in fact I agree. I just think it'd be quite exciting and I quite like the idea of something massively random and unpredictable happening with the England team to make it interesting :giggle:

As it is I expect us to win the next game comfortably while flattering to deceive, limp through the next round by overcoming some tabloid-invented (or exaggerated) difficulty while showing "character", then fall apart against the first true contender so we can have the usual photos of Kane with his hands on hips looking at the ground miserably, Foden looking like he's about to pick a fight with the judge who's sentencing him for GBH, Walker with a thousand yard stare etc. I am nothing if not a traditionalist!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Oh it's absolutely a coaching problem. Last season we were able to pass the ball around nearly effortlessly because all the players knew where to expect all the other players would be. That's what enables no look or near no look passing.

The England players clearly had no clue where to expect their teammates to be. And that's 100% a coaching problem.

I think, maybe, one of the big problems is that England are, once again, buckling under the weight of expectations. It's something that was totally lacking when Southgate took over with the team, at that point, something of a shambles. It let them play free from the pressure of anybody expecting much from them.

Now, after reaching the final last time, the expectation is back. And with that comes the fear. And that's the other thing that struck me from yesterday's game. The players looked afraid to take risks. They aren't afraid of the other team. They are afraid of being ripped apart by the press.

Shit. Have I just argued for that we need somebody with experience in emotional intelligence to get the teams head right? Yikes.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Would someone else get more of a tune from these players, even if they were parachuted in mid-competiton?

It would be a radical thing to do, but could it be the gear shift everyone seems to need?
From a reputable source, they've already got the successor lined up after the tournament, he's known to us on here ;), the only advantage about bringing him now is that his stick can start earlier than anticipated.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
From a reputable source, they've already got the successor lined up after the tournament, he's known to us on here ;), the only advantage about bringing him now is that his stick can start earlier than anticipated.
You tease! I'm all ready for the P.O.P. (Pile on Potter)

I struggle to understand why the England squad would have any respect for "one win at home in a year" Potter particularly after the complete and utter shambles he made when given the opportunity of working with a world class squad at Chelsea.

Southgate. Potter?? It's almost as if the FA don't want England to win a trophy.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You tease! I'm all ready for the P.O.P. (Pile on Potter)

I struggle to understand why the England squad would have any respect for "one win at home in a year" Potter particularly after the complete and utter shambles he made when given the opportunity of working with a world class squad at Chelsea.

Southgate. Potter?? It's almost as if the FA don't want England to win a trophy.
I don't want to be savaged by the PC brigade on here, but as of 30th July, both the Chair and Vice of the FA will be female with neither of them having a footballing background.

Box ticking, as was the case with Southgate's appointment, appears to be alive and well at the FA 8 years on from Big Sam getting an 'early bath'.

PS GP has now been backed into 3/1 favourite for the England job, read what you want into that, but with Cagney and Lacey at the helm he'd be a very 'safe choice'.

Last edited:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

I think we can find footage of their initial meeting...

giphy.gif

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't want to be savaged by the PC brigade on here, but as of 30th July, both the Chair and Vice of the FA will be female with neither of them having no footballing background.

So they both have a footballing background then. That's good news.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
In a heartbeat, imagine taking England further than most previous managers could only dream of and yet, the vast majority of England fans, think he’s inept. Cannot wait for him to be gone.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't disagree with you at all, in fact I agree. I just think it'd be quite exciting and I quite like the idea of something massively random and unpredictable happening with the England team to make it interesting :giggle:

As it is I expect us to win the next game comfortably while flattering to deceive, limp through the next round by overcoming some tabloid-invented (or exaggerated) difficulty while showing "character", then fall apart against the first true contender so we can have the usual photos of Kane with his hands on hips looking at the ground miserably, Foden looking like he's about to pick a fight with the judge who's sentencing him for GBH, Walker with a thousand yard stare etc. I am nothing if not a traditionalist!
I agree with almost all of that.

Fencing stolen phones would have been my bet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here