Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion mojo: when was it at the peak and when at the lowest

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just realised that I have seen Albion play in every League which they could have qualified for - the old Division 2, 3, 3(South), 4 and back up all the way to the 1st Division; then League Two/One/Championship - just the Premier League to go...................................could our time be soon?

I have also seen us play in all the eligible domestic cup competitions FACup/League Cup (including Milk Cup and Carling Cup and its variations) and Johnstones Paint (and variations) Trophy; plus the full set of play-offs.

It really has been quite a ride :)

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Lowest - Leaving the Goldstone and going to almost every game at Gillingham and seeing just 6 wins.

Highest - Doncaster first league game at the Amex. Proper emotional, hairs on the back of my neck were tingling and I welled up in front of my wife and kids and couldn't talk for fear of booing like a big wuss. Not ashamed to admit it either - Finest day supporting the Albion ever in over 35 years.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If it was just about this season then my lowest point would be the performance against Palace. The highest point would be the doncaster experience.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was 15 that year too, and I have to say that those I think were the best times I had watching the Albion at the Goldstone. Had my little spot, right at the back of the North Stand, just to the left of the goal as you look at the pitch.

Beating Northampton 3-0 on a Friday night in April in front of 14,500 (doesn't sound that much now does it) - after playing unbelievably well, and got us on the run to promotion, will live with me forever.

Low point - I actually stopped watching them between 1996 - 2000. I'm almost ashamed to say it now - I actually stopped watching once McGhee had taken charge as well because I was fed-up of the totally shit football that was being served up under him.
Sounds like the NS was full of 15 year olds :lolol: That Northampton match was brilliant, a packed Goldstone in full voice under the floodlights, the pitch looked so green, and we played them off the park (weren't they just above us at the time?). Nelson, Bremner, Dublin, Keeley, Rougvie....classic team

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Amazing.....the best......score a goal and you'd find yourself right down the front :lolol:

I think our generation was lucky really, a bit too young for the Mullery team, but we had some fun at the Goldstone before all the crap that followed with Archer and his pals. It was exciting times for a 15 year old, and I think anyone who went regularly then (at our age) couldn't fail to be hooked for life.

I'm same gen, but wasn't going much at that age. Did we ever go to a game together? I started seriously going after I moved to Hove Park, during Moulden/Cotterill and then during the Brady years, so I guess that's my mojo. Lowest period was the end of Mcghee/Wilkins/Adams II, Withdean had served its time and we were waiting for Falmer, most of the hard work had been done by then and it was dragging.

Right now is mojo take 2, most games since 94

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Highest: Between January and March last season.

Lowest: The Wilderness years at Withdean between late era McGhee and Gus arriving.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mojo in overdrive right now . Can't get enough of it .

Later years under Barry Lloyd , he killed many a Mojo .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm same gen, but wasn't going much at that age. Did we ever go to a game together? I started seriously going after I moved to Hove Park, during Moulden/Cotterill and then during the Brady years, so I guess that's my mojo. Lowest period was the end of Mcghee/Wilkins/Adams II, Withdean had served its time and we were waiting for Falmer, most of the hard work had been done by then and it was dragging.

Right now is mojo take 2, most games since 94
No I don't think so, I went with Noel usually......I feel stupid that I didn't ask you to come with us, although we didn't really talk about the football much at school.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Highest was the seasons we came out of the 3rd and went through to the 1st, but it's getting close to that again now.

Lowest was definitely Adams Mark 2 from the day we lost to 9 man Walsall until the day he was shown the door. I looked for excuses not to go and when I did go I wondered WTF I was doing there from about 10 mins in every game. Leicester at home was the only high spot of that time as I missed the Man City game. I came so close to giving up on watching the Albion that season. The treatment of Wilkins also had quite a influence on how I felt too. The last days at the Goldstone and the Exile in Gillingham were never as bad as Micky's return for me.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No I don't think so, I went with Noel usually......I feel stupid that I didn't ask you to come with us, although we didn't really talk about the football much at school.

I remember bumping into Noel a couple of times on the NS, and went with Mark S a couple of times. You must have been there somewhere! School was all about cricket. Going to Anfield?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember bumping into Noel a couple of times on the NS, and went with Mark S a couple of times. You must have been there somewhere! School was all about cricket. Going to Anfield?
Hopefully, having to wait until Monday to try for a ticket though :down:.......you're right about the cricket!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not surprisingly.....

Highest - 1982-83 cup run, and promotion seasons.
Lowest - All the seasons we were relegated or nearly relegated (it can be sooooo depresssing switching on teletext at about 4.45 each Saturday to find out we have lost yet again to some hicksville team from the middle of nowhere - and that is without having to actually watch/endure it in the flesh.)

However I take solace from the fact that at the very worst it will now take us at least another three years before we can be kicked out of the League to the Conference/Bluesquarething-whateveritscalledthesedays - now that is real optimism.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Highest - I really enjoyed the 1990-1991 season. My first year of travelling around the country following the Albion. Never quite knew whether we would be brilliant or crap. Byrne and Small - my favourite ever Albion strike partnership. Spoiled obviously in part by the Wembley defeat but it was a great year looking back.

Lowest - Under Jimmy Case. The defeat at home to Darlington stands out. Really depressing time on and off the pitch. Remember the anger of the fans.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Highest probably now. The Internet keeps it stoked more than some of the earlier peaks, of which there are many.
Lowest. Any match with Calamity Wayne Henderson in goal. Makes my flesh creep just typing his name!

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Highest - funny enough, the cup tie at anfield last time. 2-2 Byrne and Small and of course John Crumplin changing from total crap to England class by marking John Barnes out of both games. The birth of the football genius!

Lowest - 5-0 loss to the scum.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For me the mojo factor is more about age than a particularly successful/non-successful period - the height of my Albion fervour was being a North Stand teenager in the late 1980s and watching mostly shite football served up. Moving through my twenties, thirties and now into my forties my blood still runs blue and white, and an Albion result can still make or break a weekend, but it doesn't compare to my teenage years as an Albion fanatic.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Think my highest & lowest are conjoined - HIGHEST, it was the last months of the Goldstone when the shouts of "It's like watching Brazil" were ringing around the ground (especially at our demolition of Hartlepool) & then LOWEST, after the Donny game when everybody tore the ground apart after not only realising that we had been royally f**cked but where we would be playing next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here