Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion mojo: when was it at the peak and when at the lowest

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Highs:1983 cup run (up until the replay), 1984 v Liverpool, Gotsmonov, England B, Bryne and Small, play off semi against milwall, Crawley 5-0, Bournmouth 3-3, Grit's great escape, the work of Dick Knight and co, Zamora, Gus, and Tony Bloom buying us the amex.

Lows :Mark McGhee years (Although I have heard what a nice bloke he is) terrible.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Highs

1983 cup final
1984 2-0 cup win over liverpool
1991 wilkins free kick v ipswich
1997 fulltime edgar street
2001-2002 champions twicw
2009-2012 Gus and the amex

lows
1983 losing cup final and going down
1991 losing to county in po final
1992 going down
1997 darlo at home losing 2-3
1997 edgar street halftime
2002 0-5 v palace
2005 1-5 v stoke
2008 0-0 v luton

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Growing up as a teenager with Brighton being back at Withdean and the championships and the play off final would be my ultimate high so far. I felt so proud to wear my Albion shirt (Zamora on the back of course!) to school/college especially as it was in Kent. I guess at the age of 12/13 was when I really became a hardcore Brighton fan, with my season ticket going with my brothers and I loved it. Zamora, Cullip, Kuipers, Virgo and the years 2000-2004 I will always look back on with fond memories.

Lows - yeah things did get a bit a shit after 2006 IMO. Like, others have said, it was a low for me in supporting the Albion. I kept my season ticket out of duty I guess and in the blind hope things woulld be better the next season. But then I always knew that things could never be as bad as they were in 1997, although I was a kid back in 1997, I was aware of how lucky BHA were to still be here.

I just have always loved having a club like BHA to support.

Going back to highs, last season was up there. So is this season. For the past 18 months there seems to be such a buzz about the Club.

Life is never dull as an Albion fan.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Highest - definitely beating Sheffield Wednesday at Highbury, the greatest day so far for me.

Lowest - poison dwarf Adams as a 2nd incarnation. Cannot remember who we played at Withdean when it was his last game in charge but we were totally clueless and we lost. I was so frustrated as a silent crown filtered up the top of the South Stand to leave I turned back and shouted at Adams "Just f*** off and leave" and someone said that won't help things, I was right as well he was sacked so perhaps that is a high as opposed to a low :shrug::shrug:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lowest - poison dwarf Adams as a 2nd incarnation.

Bit much to call him that when you think about everything he did for us first time round and also the support he showed for the stadium even when he had left. Sure, second spell was a disaster but Adams himself is a decent bloke.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is a list of highs and lows the same as losing or regaining your mojo? To me the mojo bit covers a period of at least a season and how enthusiastic you are about actually being arsed to go to a game or to listen on the radio. Am I getting this wrong?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is a list of highs and lows the same as losing or regaining your mojo? To me the mojo bit covers a period of at least a season and how enthusiastic you are about actually being arsed to go to a game or to listen on the radio. Am I getting this wrong?
Yeah, I'm with you. I think there's a difference between an individual 'high' and the high point of 'Albion mojo'. It doesn't always reflect what's going on on or off the pitch either. The 1990s were a truly dire time for the club, but I never lost my Albion mojo during that period, indeed it was the threat that we might lose the club that made me realise how much I loved it and how I'd do anything I could to save it.

It's also funny how many of us have said Adams Mk II as the low point mojo-wise. Since 1966 I've seen many shit teams, shit managers and shit seasons, and I wonder if I said that just because it's the most recent? Naa, I still think it was the combination of the shit football and the shit ground that made it the worst.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
YIt's also funny how many of us have said Adams Mk II as the low point mojo-wise. Since 1966 I've seen many shit teams, shit managers and shit seasons, and I wonder if I said that just because it's the most recent? Naa, I still think it was the combination of the shit football and the shit ground that made it the worst.

It followed on the back of the strange sacking of Wilkins who seemed to have us on the up again, throwing that progress down the drain with countless journeyman loan players. Previous bad seasons on the pitch had been masked by Falmer campaigning, but the stadium was in the bag then, it was just a matter of waiting and watching that dross in that stadium wasn't the best

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Peaks x 2 - The season we got to the dizzy heights of Division 1 in 79... This season in our wonderful new state of the art home.

Troughs x 2 - Hereford away and the final replay! almost, I said ALMOST suicidal!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Lowest was probably when i was fairly fresh out of the coma of November 05. Family had surrounded me with Seagulls paraphernalia and even a large printout of best wishes from the NSC crowd, but the inability to read and a partial belief that i was in an Egyptian fairground made it a bit difficult to get into it. Even for a while afterwards whilst memory was beyond me and i went along to games under the instruction of those around me, i struggled to feel. I was trapped in an attempting to mirror my former self routine, thanks to a bit of a black hole for where part of my brain once sat, but without any air of affection for the current, or even that devilish place some call the future.

Charlton away last season had me agog, completely in awe of everything on display. I loved that game and stood at moments unable to sing because it was all so...so...perfect. Just amazed. And even now i just love it. There's something magical about us under Gus, whether that is thanks to the style which is our intention or the heady collection of last-minute winners, i don't know, and i love it enough to fear it disappearing. That's what loves always seemed to me: that terror that something just right will leave you. I know it will one day, so for now i just have to love loving it and beam at the thought of what i have been made involved in. Glorious times.

doogen83

Nov 1, 2010
Highest....Every match since 1958....must admit though I was in despair at HT at Hereford.....[/QUOTE
I have never felt so dejected as I did at half time at Hereford. The whole way through that season I always had hope that we would get out of trouble. That hope had vanished at half time and I was left with the realisation that my beloved Brighton and hove albion were going to be relegated and were going out of business. No football fan will ever understand just how awful it feels until it happens. I spent most of the second half hiding behind a wall, I just couldn't bring myself to watch anymore, I was in bits.

Every moment supporting Brighton since the equalizer that day has been fantastic. even if we get beat,the following week we have a team to go a support again. That very nearly didn't happen. So.what ever happened since that day has been a bonus and that bonus is getting better and better all.the time.........its brilliant

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lowest was probably when i was fairly fresh out of the coma of November 05. Family had surrounded me with Seagulls paraphernalia and even a large printout of best wishes from the NSC crowd, but the inability to read and a partial belief that i was in an Egyptian fairground made it a bit difficult to get into it. Even for a while afterwards whilst memory was beyond me and i went along to games under the instruction of those around me, i struggled to feel. I was trapped in an attempting to mirror my former self routine, thanks to a bit of a black hole for where part of my brain once sat, but without any air of affection for the current, or even that devilish place some call the future.

Charlton away last season had me agog, completely in awe of everything on display. I loved that game and stood at moments unable to sing because it was all so...so...perfect. Just amazed. And even now i just love it. There's something magical about us under Gus, whether that is thanks to the style which is our intention or the heady collection of last-minute winners, i don't know, and i love it enough to fear it disappearing. That's what loves always seemed to me: that terror that something just right will leave you. I know it will one day, so for now i just have to love loving it and beam at the thought of what i have been made involved in. Glorious times.

You really do have a way with words :thumbsup:

The Charlton feeling you describe was bettered a week or so later at for me at Peterborough, I really did stand there thinking " It can't get any better than this". It seemed that we were as close to perfect that day as I've ever seen an Albion team.

I seem to recall a comment from a Peterborough fan that summed it up, along the lines of " f*** me why didn't someone warn me that we were playing Real Madrid today" :lolol:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
High points for me were the back to back title seasons. Went to nearly every away game, clinching promotion at port vale and was in the trees against chesterfield watching the brown envelope make its way around! Kuipers, Watson, Cullip, Mayo, Charlie, Chippy, Brooker and of course Bobby are all names that jump out at me from that era. Trips to Leicester, Ipswich, Swindon, Reading, Derby, Portsmouth, Bristol City etc were all quality days out and most memorable. Low points would be the Gillingham era, I just didn't want to go, and the 5-0 at those bastards shithole. As for now, I'm finding it hard to sleep with excitement! Last night for example I couldnt stop thinking about the Leeds game and I'm not even going! I had two dreams about us winning 4-1 and one winning 7-0, seriously! I keep telling anyone who will listen, this is OUR time! Also taking my 4 year old boy to his first ever match was a massive high point!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
lowest - gillingham years..... i never went and couldnt be bothered . son was just born and was running a pub in portobello road
highest - now .... got my first season ticket since the goldstone and will have it for a long time to come . didnt like withdean so just used to go to away games

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex

Wow - :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When you consider we have had 4 Home grounds,the whole thing with supporting Brighton is for me anyway like having 4 children,i love them all equally,but in different ways,but love them all i do...even Gillingham

Worst time was losing the 91 play off final
Losing the Goldstone was bad.......perhaps i was in a state of shock.

Call me mad-but at the final whistle at Edgar Street i felt a Pheonix energy surge through me,starting from feet it travelled my whole body and left through my head,i knew that we would be ok,i could not tell you how we would get here,i just believed.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The only low was just before the end of the Goldstone. It was when Archer was there, but before the fight back had started. I stopped going for the only time in my life (still listened to every game, but didn't go). When the fight against Archer started I came back and have been insane about it ever since - the last season at the Goldstone was great (even the football became exciting as we somehow got ourselves back from a huge gap at the bottom and got that draw at Hereford). I was back for that, all through Gillingham and Withdean.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Highest, last season when we ruined everyone for fun and got the trophy.

Lowest had to be Micky Adams II, it was just soul destroying.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When you consider we have had 4 Home grounds,the whole thing with supporting Brighton is for me anyway like having 4 children,i love them all equally,but in different ways,but love them all i do...even Gillingham

I think of Gillingham with little or no love. I didn`t go there much so maybe never grew to love the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here