Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We have become rubbish*

Everybody OUT.

* although much better than they were 10 years ago....

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Biss will want to almost win silverware at Villa or Arsenal, and triple his salary.

It’s more a general acceptance that he’ll want away and it’s our last opportunity to get a decent fee.

His worth has greatly diminished for different reasons over the last few months and to think that he will be replaceable at whatever that reduced fee may be is simply impractical and nonsensical.
I personally thought he was our best player along with Cucu on Wednesday in a team that are all on a run of poor form.
He’s one of the finest players we have had the chance to watch in the stripes and to wish him away is madness

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Anyone starting these threads before the 'lap of dishonour' is normally slagged off. But imho this is fair game after 29 games and a strange season.

I'll leave in's to the club's experts. Impossible to be accurate, as dozens of other clubs are going for the same targets:

Personally I think we're crying out for pace and a threat, plus a CM with the energy and bite to take on teams offering the same.

Departures:
Bissouma - maximise the cash, his efforts over 6 months have largely been awful. Until the case, he seemed to win every 50:50 and 40:60 for about 18 months.
Duffy - a great character with strengths to his game, but we need to get back to CB's who can play the game, start attacks in a second.
Gross - takeaway the hilarious Cruyff Turns, what tangibly does he deliver?
March - I love the player, but if we're talking a brutal clear out and serious investment, another one to replace.
Welbeck - ditto.

I find it strange that you're mentioning pace, particularly given the squad we had 3 years ago.
People say 'apart from Lamptey' but, then again, he's about the quickest in the PL, so if that's your bar then it applies across the rest of the PL squads too.
We've got several quick players now beyond Tariq: Welbeck, Webster, Bissouma, Moder, Trossard, Cucurella. March isn't a slouch either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
His worth has greatly diminished for different reasons over the last few months and to think that he will be replaceable at whatever that reduced fee may be is simply impractical and nonsensical.
I personally thought he was our best player along with Cucu on Wednesday in a team that are all on a run of poor form.
He’s one of the finest players we have had the chance to watch in the stripes and to wish him away is madness

I thought he raised his game against Liverpool, he always does against them.

But awful in those recent other home losses.

Amazing last 2 seasons.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tangibles:

Mac A - 4 goals + 2 assists + 3 big chances created.
Trossard - 4 + 1 + 1.
Moder - 0 + 3 + 5
Gross - 0 + 3 + 4.

In a negative CH team in 2017/18 Gross's stats were 7 + 8 + 16.

He's a shadow of the player in previous seasons.

Without wanting to be accused of stalking you, agree completely. Gross and Murray pretty much kept us up in that first season. I'd add that I'm pretty sure 6 of those 7 goals were from open play, which reminds me of a question that I've posed before, and am still devoid of an answer: when was the last PL goal Gross scored from open play?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find it strange that you're mentioning pace, particularly given the squad we had 3 years ago.
People say 'apart from Lamptey' but, then again, he's about the quickest in the PL, so if that's your bar then it applies across the rest of the PL squads too.
We've got several quick players now beyond Tariq: Welbeck, Webster, Bissouma, Moder, Trossard, Cucurella. March isn't a slouch either.

It’s way quicker than the CH and Propper/Montoya teams for sure.

But I always look at what other first teams have to offer, as a comparison. On the counter attack, variously; Villa, CP, West Ham, Wolves have searing pace in numbers. The sort that takes them away from trailing CB’s. CP have been playing that bloody game for 10 years. It works.

Defenders forever talk about it being the one thing they hate facing.

Webster, Trossard, Mac A, March, Cucu have pace that Montoya/Propper can only dream of, but not at the level that destroys the opposition.

The goal that Welbeck scored at Villa a couple of years ago, a rare Albion example.

Dreaming.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
May be a bit controversial, but here goes…..

Lamptey - £40m cash in whilst we can, getting worked out by most teams
Duffy - great servant, but time to move on
Clarke - don’t know why we signed him
Ostigard
Balata

Bissouma £45m - starting to undo all his good work
Molumby
Trossard £30m - need more
Gross - with a big thank you for everything

Welbeck
Connolly

Promote to first team squad
Van Hecke
Khadra
Cochrane

My strong prediction is that Biss will go for about £30m (please not let it be Villa), whereas Tross below £20m, probably well below

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What are the Gross stats without corners, free kicks and penalties. Zero goals in 2 years and how many assists?

He definitely got an assist in the first game of the season against Burnley for Mac's winner. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got (at least?) another, because he's still got vision and execution.
I've just posed the question of when did he score his last PL goal from open play.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Potter ,Biss,March,Gross plus two sick notes wellbeck and lallana out!
Anyone in a bonus job done !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even by the standards of NSC it is hard to imagine a less well considered post. Congratulations.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Assists do tend to depend on the goal scoring ability of the person you just passed to...might have noticed that when it comes to the Albion I'd rather judge creativity in the number of chances vacated...especially 'big chances'. Apparently there are stats for these.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Anyone suggesting Khadra hasn’t watched him much this year. I’d say Mitoma is way ahead of him in terms of first team squad next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Assists do tend to depend on the goal scoring ability of the person you just passed to...might have noticed that when it comes to the Albion I'd rather judge creativity in the number of chances vacated...especially 'big chances'. Apparently there are stats for these.

Mac A - 4 goals + 2 assists + 3 big chances created.
Trossard - 4 + 1 + 1.
Moder - 0 + 3 + 5
Gross - 0 + 3 + 4.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Genuinely anyone out of contract. There’s not a single player we shouldn’t at least try to improve on, be it poor performance or poor fitness.

Anyway, who is out of contract btw?

Dont know if anyone replied to this but: Welbeck and Gross.

2023 contracts going out = Duffy, Veltman, Trossard, Bissouma, Maupay, Macallister. Lallana; Duffy and Veltman should count themselves lucky with a deal with a PL team, the others... more dubious.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m honestly staggered by anyone thinking we should sell either Bissouma or Macallister.

Stagger away then. Biss is gone. Mac will be off if we keep treating him as a bit part player - needs a role in the team on a regular basis. If we can't keep hold of a full Argentinian international because he goes elsewhere to get regular game time, we're really in the do-do.

.... and I wouldn't blame him.

Last edited:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
MacAllister??!

Apologies, but seriously WTF!

He is about our only midfield player with any idea……

Moder would be long gone for me before we reached MacAllister, (and I don’t want to get rid of Moder either)

Ah, sorry I forgot that I should have asked you opinion first. Silly me. 😆

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Approx £150million for the replacements plus £100 million for the covers.

Ever heard of FFP?
Who is paying for this?

I think you are in need of a dose of reality. :)

Its not real and all hypothetical but thank you for your irrelevant reply

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here