Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10210476 said:
Not sure if it's been posted already but I've seen in the papers that Joe Gomez should be available for around £23m this summer. He'd be a good signing for us, not sure if he's want to come but possibly Lallana being here could give us an edge, and the fact he'd most likely be starting week in week out. A back 3 of Gomez, Dunk and Webster would be pretty good.

Going to West Ham or Villa, with wages a hike on his existing £85k a week.

We're not in that league. Gold/Sullivan/the 2 Villa owners just keep shaking their money trees. The pandemic and EPL Sustainability laws brushed aside. Palarse do it too with players earning up to £130k a week.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I’d start with some of the coaching staff

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
i think Trossard is probably in need of a change of scenery.

I hope he's sold abroad because I have a strong feeling he'll be a great success at his new club
If he was consistently successful at another PL club wouldn’t that mean our manager isn’t playing to his strengths? Another example of this Maupay isn’t a loan striker yet every game he’s stuck up their on his own. You could argue we haven’t got anyone else apart from Welbeck which is shocking when you think about it after five years in the PL.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Who goes? Welbeck, Gross, March, Duffy,Clarke and Connolly. If they will not sign new contracts, I would add add Trossard and Bissouma to that list.

I would add Ostigard,Khadra,Van Hecke, Mitoma, Zeqiri, Undav and Sima to the squad from the returning loanees.

New signings? Maybe if Biss and Trossard go, two forwards with pace.

We have good players at the club, just not the right mix

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Of course. An ageing injury prone striker. What’s not to like?

Appreciate we’ll never be Real Madrid, but I hoped for more than Real Marigold.
Wasn't actually suggesting we should go for Ings, just interesting that we are being linked with him.
Given the current level of angst in NSC, Ings fits the bill of a proven Premier League goalscorer (albeit one maybe past his peak)
However, if there is a perfect, Premier League ready striker, you can be sure he won't be coming to us.
Which is why Ings is touted in the press as the replacement for the similarly aging, injury prone Welbeck.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Out - Duffy, Gross + anyone with only 1 year left who won’t sign another contract. I would not renew Welbeck either.

In - whoever we bring in has to have one main attribute = PACE, we must have the slowest squad in the EPL.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Definite refresh of the squad needed this summer. Areas of the squad feel stale or have lost the drive needed to perform well in this league, or maybe we're just carrying players who are past their prime. Even though the likes of Duffy, March, Welbeck, Steele, and Gross have certain valuable assets I would say some or all of them need to be moved on to create space for incomings & bring some much needed energy into the squad. Every few years you need that rotation of players to maintain the teams hunger to do well, rather than having a squad where some players are possibly coasting. The same goes for Biss and Trossard if they're not signing new deals, if they dont see their future with us then they cant be trusted to put a shift in each week, and so we should sell while they still have value.

Its a bit more difficult with incomings as until GP gets a proper look at the current loaned out players we wont really know whats needed. Undav will obviously come in, i'd like to see a younger Welbeck type join us, and Van Hecke looks a decent consistent performer for Blackburn. I'd like to see Scherpen get another loan and we bring in a more experienced keeper to compete with Sanchez. Maybe one of Khadra or Mitoma will come in depending on who's most ready. The rest I guess depends on who leaves or if the likes of Kozlowski, Caicedo, Sima, Zeqiri, and Sarmiento are ready for the Prem. Certainly lots of decisions to be made this summer, and it feels a particularly important transfer window for us.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Wouldn’t be surprised if this was us. Ticks all of the boxes for the type of player we’ve recently been looking to bring in..

6A6ECE99-4397-412E-9F96-BD1BAF600545.jpeg

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Every year people write off Gross, it’s not his fault that the chances he creates end up in the crowd rather than in the net.

c1e050d91d8c8717fb9ad2aeeb46329a.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every year people write off Gross, it’s not his fault that the chances he creates end up in the crowd rather than in the net.

c1e050d91d8c8717fb9ad2aeeb46329a.jpg

There are stats and there are stats! I do wonder what they classify as a ''chance created'. The fact that they rate Solly March's chance creation rate above the likes of Allan Saint-Maximan, Demarai Grey and James Madison does give the whole thing a distinct lack of credibility.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
My opinion differs based on current form and what the player is capable of. For large parts of the first few months this season Trossard produced as did Maupay (albeit he still squandered some chances). Bissouma is without doubt our best player when he wants to be but doesn't look all there at the moment. Football is cut throat and I think Gross, Welbeck, Lallana will go but Bissouma may be the only big sale if a deal is too good to turn down. Trossard, Maupay and a few others need to pull their fingers out as there aren't many (if any) premier league sides who would take them on current form.

We need consistent attacking options. We are too easy to work out and struggle to break teams down who park the bus, equally we seem to struggle to counter attack. We need players who can create something when the game is flat. Players like (but Premier league quality) Lua Lua, prime Knockaert, Buckley, first season Gross

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Once Gross leaves our chances of ending up back in Championship are a lot higher to me

Gross is one of those players that no one will miss until is gone and will then be a very big miss to me

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Next season it may be shit or bust and that will mean taking some risks with streamlining the squad.

Gross has been an absolute star for the club but like others, I can only see him on a slow downward spiral so I think it’s time to say goodbye.

I have no idea why Trossard looks so apathetic about playing for the Albion now, but if that’s the case, he must be shifted before his value plummets.

March has never even been close to PL standards - he’s so predictable and has the cutting edge of a wet lemon. Please sell on.

Bissouma, well I believe this was done and dusted a while ago so not much to say…on his way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
His worth has greatly diminished for different reasons over the last few months and to think that he will be replaceable at whatever that reduced fee may be is simply impractical and nonsensical.
I personally thought he was our best player along with Cucu on Wednesday in a team that are all on a run of poor form.
He’s one of the finest players we have had the chance to watch in the stripes and to wish him away is madness
Well we don’t know why he got arrested yet, personally gone off him since that incident. It kind of killed the season a bit if you look back on it he’s never been the same since.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Never know what to believe with vague messages from the club and stuff you read in the media. Are we building a first team capable of a top ten finish or further investing into talented young players with potential to break into the first team. I question U23 players as so few make it with us and end up in the Championship at best probably with the exception of Ben White.
We have saved money with the sales or releasing of White, Burn, Locadia, Jakhanbash so we must have a few bob to spare. I'd release Duffy, Welbeck and Gross as they are all past their best, like it or not Bissouma and probably Lamptey will go, so wholesale changed needed, a new centre half, cover at both full back positions, some energy, pace and guile in attacking midfield and two strikers. Not asking for much!
Positives are the likes of Moder, McAlister, Alzate and Enoch look like good players and can only further improve we do need more goals from across midfield.
Question marks over Trossard on week genius the next week distinctly average, do you take the money or preserve with him.
Possibly the biggest transfer window for us during our Premier era.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Well we don’t know why he got arrested yet, personally gone off him since that incident. It kind of killed the season a bit if you look back on it he’s never been the same since.

I’m not sure where to start…… you don’t know why he was arrested yet you’ve decided to ‘go off him’ anyway…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here