Southampton ban photographers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely the Nationals who are there to cover Southamptons games can just say "f*** you then", and not bother carrying a match report for any games at St Marys.

Hardly going to affect their circulation is it. But the Southampton fans might well be a bit pissed off at their team not getting national coverage in the press, and will start moaning to the club.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hardly going to affect their circulation is it. But the Southampton fans might well be a bit pissed off at their team not getting national coverage in the press, and will start moaning to the club.

Exactly. And so would any sponsors. A call from their MD, and this ban goes.

*edit*

Looks like they don't have a shirt sponsor anyway this season, so might have to be other things. And is that right, they've ditched the stripes?

Last edited:

Sep 20, 2005
I hope that every club visited by Southampton this season bans this agency from their ground. This would cause Saints a big problem because, as we all know, one of the regular items in a club programme is pictures from last week's away game.
Every other club needs to be sure that photographers either:
a) Refuse to supply pictures to the club or the local paper.
b) Charge prohibitively high fees for picture usage.

One of the groups not yet mentioned who will be most upset by this ridiculous move is the players and, more importantly, their agents. Southampton will find it extremely difficult to attract players when they know they will never appear anywhere other than the Daily Echo. Extra-curricular earning power will drop through the floor.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looks like they don't have a shirt sponsor anyway this season, so might have to be other things. And is that right, they've ditched the stripes?

Southampton-2010-Shirt.jpg

Yep.
They've got a Miss World sash now.

Poncey.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
From the Plymouth herald (their version of the Argus)
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/new...upporters/article-2497239-detail/article.html
Pictures ban is an insult to supporters

MEDIA coverage is the lifeblood of professional football; it is what gives the game such massive global appeal.
It whets the appetite of fans of all ages, sets pulses racing, celebrates the action, turns players into superstars and sends its profile into the stratosphere.
Anyone who doubts how much the game relies on TV, radio, newspapers and magazines has only to look at the acres of newsprint and hours of broadcasting which are devoted each week to the beautiful game — and how many millions of pounds are pumped into the professional leagues by media moguls. On a more local level, detailed coverage in papers such as The Herald enables fans to follow their heroes in the kind of depth which cannot be offered elsewhere. It allows players and managers to communicate with their fans, some of whom may be unable to attend matches, and keep them informed of the twists and turns which are such an absorbing and intriguing part of any season.
Match reports and pictures allow supporters who were there to relive moments from games, or those who weren't to catch up on what they missed. Previews, team updates, interviews and statistics — all backed up by photographs — ramp up enthusiasm for games, and help clubs sell match tickets which provide the vital revenue which keeps them afloat. It is a symbiotic relationship which has worked brilliantly well for all parties.
1x1.GIF

Until now: because in the pursuit of extra money, Argyle's opponents on Saturday are seemingly prepared to deny Pilgrims fans the chance to see photographs of their heroes in action on the St Mary's pitch. Southampton Football Club is refusing to allow access inside the ground to photographers from local papers, the national press or news agencies. Instead, they expect print outlets to buy 'official' pictures from their in-house photographer.
Not surprisingly, The Herald — and many other media outlets — have refused. What a cheek, and what an insult to the fans whose money helps pays the players' wages and makes the professional game viable.
It is a ridiculous situation, but rest assured that we will do whatever we can to ensure the Green Army does not miss out on its Monday 'footie-fest' in The Herald. We won't be beaten by this nonsensical restriction, which we are striving to overturn.
Let's hope the sinning Saints have a rethink: but if they don't, make a date with us on Monday to see how we beat this ban.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep. They are having no sponsor this year, on their special shirt to commemorate their 125 year anniversary.

Nasty Palace sash.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hilarious, perhaps they think they are of a similar stature to the likes of Barcelona, and that the media will be falling over themselves to pay for the images of the mighty Saints?

It would be nice if the various media outlets all turned around and gave Southampton a mighty "f*** you" then, refusing to buy the photos and either not bothering with match reports or just using text and no images.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Scumhampton appear ever more up their own arses as each week passes. They are like the condemned man falling down the gallows and finding the rope snaps to find not only is he alive but he's got a rather large inheritance and he then goes around being a wanker about it to all and sundry. I find the whole team and everything about them incredibly arrogant and tedious, to be treated with utter contempt. Southampton & Pompey, the arsehole and gammy minge of league football.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'm pretty sure it's only Brighton (and Pompey for different reasons) who have a bizarre hatred of Southampton at the moment...

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm pretty sure it's only Brighton (and Pompey for different reasons) who have a bizarre hatred of Southampton at the moment...

I seem to remember some of your lot having a rather illogical dislike of QPR; nothing to do with a totally average club trying to buy a division and thinking they are far better than anybody else because they were once in the Premiership, was it?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I haven't got too much against Southampton historically, but in the 'here and now', you always want to beat the big team in the division, and they must be this season. Pardew adds to it (he's friendless, for good reason) and this penny-pinching is very odd, not least because taking a shirt sponsor would have almost certainly made more money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If you've got the time and energy...

Read this crap (from May 2010)

A message from Nicola Cortese

It was a proud moment for Markus and me when we acquired ownership of this great football club and the pace of positive change over the last ten months has been impressive.

First, and very importantly, we stabilised the Club on and off the pitch and began to provide the business with the direction it had lacked for so long. I have since appointed a new First Team Manager, strengthened the playing squad and, more recently, established a Football Development and Support Centre.

Behind the scenes a huge amount of work is being carried out to improve every facet of the Club's operations.

Reflecting on the season just ended, we finished 7th in League One, thereby missing out on the play-offs which was obviously disappointing despite the ten point deduction. Nevertheless, we made good progress, particularly in the second half of the season, and we won the Johnstone Paint Trophy on a special day at the home of world football.
Article continues
Advertisement
Download Mirror's Edge Now

In recent days, there has been much speculation in some of the tabloid national and local press about the position of our First Team Manager, Alan Pardew. This speculation could be interpreted as a deliberate attempt to unsettle both the Club and Alan. Without exception it has been ill-informed.

In addition to this, various figures with past associations to the Club have been quick to voice their opinions, among them a long time former manager, and former players, one of whom was associated with a so-called consortium which delayed for an important few weeks last summer our plans to stabilise the Club.

These commentators are each entitled to their opinions of course. However, I must tell them that running a major football club such as Southampton is a rather different matter from writing about doing so. I am sure that readers of this message will reach their own conclusions.

One of my early actions was to eradicate the politics that had cast a shadow over Southampton for so long. However, it seems that those same people are trying to continue behind the scenes. I can assure the supporters of Southampton Football Club that I will not be influenced or driven by people who seek to harm the Club in the pursuit of personal agendas - whoever they are.

Our fans and staff should be reassured that I will only make decisions affecting our future based on sound football and business thinking and not on the whims of a local newspaper keen to maximise readership or pundits whose agendas are unclear. Furthermore, I will not respond to every piece of idle speculation. We have too much development work to do to waste time on such pursuits, and my time is dedicated to that work.

As a local paper, I would have hoped that it would provide the local community with news, rather than gossip. However, I am not so naïve as to expect such speculation to stop.

I spoke in January of how I feel this Club to be my baby. Southampton Football Club has been my way of life for over a year now and I have seen what started as my vision for this Club begin to develop into reality. I will continue to follow my principles with the same conviction, vision and ambition that I applied when I attracted a meaningful source of finance to save the Club and take it forward, and will not be deterred from that.

So, for the avoidance of any doubt, our policies and decisions will only be made by me and the Club's Executive Committee and only in the interests of the Club as a whole. This is our guiding principle.

Yesterday I completed a thorough review of the First Team with Alan and we are clear and agreed on our plans and objectives for the coming season. Any significant developments affecting the First Team will, as usual, be announced in a timely way on the Club website.

We will also be making announcements soon via the website on season tickets, match tickets and packages, together with news on the new home kit, which next season will not carry the name of a commercial sponsor.

Beyond next season, reaching the Premier League remains our stated and primary objective. We are also committed to developing a style of play that is compelling to watch - a style that ultimately becomes known as the Southampton Style. Inevitably, this will take time, patience and diligent application, but everything we are doing is geared to achieving this. To get there will require open minds, expertise and clear thinking and we have that.

Both Alan and I share these objectives and targets. Although getting the football side right is a serious business, Alan and I have a lot of fun doing it and we are developing a mutual trust.

We also intend to devote meaningful resources to developing our own playing talent and to have a seamless approach to our football from the youngest players through to the First Team.

In the business, our executive management has been strengthened and our staff numbers have been increased. We will soon start on the work to turn our training ground into a state-of-the-art facility. The new Football Development and Support Centre is beginning to take shape. Further physical enhancements are soon to start within the stadium.

There will be an array of commercial initiatives designed to strengthen the Club and give improved service to our fans and customers. In fact, every aspect of the Club is now subject to a programme of continuous improvement.

Everyone at the Club will now be working hard to prepare for a critical new season in which expectations across the fans, our staff, the management and the owner will be high - mine and Alan's included.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our staff throughout the Club for their tireless efforts during a very demanding time for all concerned. May I also wish you all a great summer as we look forward to the new season and further success for the Saints.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Southampton-2010-Shirt.jpg

Yep.
They've got a Miss World sash now.

Poncey.
That is one of THE best kits I've seen for a while. Very, very classy and makes ours look cheap and nasty. (Laxk of a sponsor's logo obviously helps). Hope the back doesn't let it down.:thumbsup:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Southampton Football Club is understood to have emailed editors refusing to accredit any press photographers from regional or national papers, saying they should instead buy photos from the one agency it will allow, Digital South.

The move has been criticised by Bob Satchwell, executive director of the Society of Editors, who has written to the League One club raising concerns about press freedom being affected.

Looks like the local Hearld paper is refusing to purchase the club photographers pictures.

Also states they banned another local paper all together last year.

Its unbelievable really ......they are a LEAGUE 1 club...same as us !
Acting like a Premiership Club...which they aint and wont be for a long while yet !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I believe Bournemouth are pretending they are Southampton's arch rivals this season.

And nobody likes a club acting all Billy Big Bollocks when in reality they're in division THREE with clubs like Hartlepool, Colchester and Rochdale, do they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports