Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stadium shock

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It works when it's in an area where it can pull in trade all week long, but considering it virtually Moulescombe, then unless it was going to double as a student union bar the rest of the week ...... hang on, why aren't we doing exactly that?

Because there is already a Sussex Uni SU bar on campus, and Brighton Uni Student Union deemed a bar unprofitable so don't have one.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Snowwatch 09

Just started snowing pretty hard in Essex...

Papa Lazarou..where are you??

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Martin Perry said that whoever wins the catering contract must supply at least one real ale tap at every kiosk. It may end up being up having to be a bright beer, but one would hope that whoever the caterers are, they will supply a decent service, rather than just the cheapest ale they can get their hands on.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Martin Perry said that whoever wins the catering contract must supply at least one real ale tap at every kiosk. It may end up being up having to be a bright beer, but one would hope that whoever the caterers are, they will supply a decent service, rather than just the cheapest ale they can get their hands on.

Does it REALLY matter?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Not to you, obviously.

Well come on, it's a football ground - how many do you see selling ales?!

You'll get London Pride if you'r lucky, but no doubt people will still moan that it's not Harveys.

Christ, if all you can get is John Smiths and Carlsberg (as is the case at MK i seem to recall) is it really a big deal? Surely ANYTHING is better than what we've got at the moment!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Because there is already a Sussex Uni SU bar on campus, and Brighton Uni Student Union deemed a bar unprofitable so don't have one.

Does there have to be just one? We had more than that when I was at Uni .... unless the same bar just looked different on different days, and I was too drunk to know where I was. Possible!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

A student bar unprofitable? :ohmy:

Things have changed greatly since my day at uni...

That Sussex uni bar is a strange one too - I was at something at the Gardner centre a few years back and the bar was shut on a Saturday evening, so I wouldn't imagine getting a drink there on matchdays.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well come on, it's a football ground - how many do you see selling ales?!

You'll get London Pride if you'r lucky, but no doubt people will still moan that it's not Harveys.

Christ, if all you can get is John Smiths and Carlsberg (as is the case at MK i seem to recall) is it really a big deal? Surely ANYTHING is better than what we've got at the moment!!

Agreed.

If they want us to stay behind, drink their beer, eat their food, watch their tellies in order to ease congestion at Falmer Station, having something worth drinking other than what you've mentioned is one of the things that might well be an important consideration for some, if not for many.

I don't want to drink John Smith or Carlsberg, and neither of them will keep me at the stadium after a game. I want the choice. Am I alone in that - who knows? I don't think I am. If others want to drink it - great.

We've got a blank sheet of paper, and a glorious opportunity for a football club to finally offer some decent ales. The fact that other clubs don't offer anything other than what you've listed is another issue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, isn't it LOVELY to be worrying and arguing about what bloody beer is going to be served, and how many / what kind of bars we're going to have there.
Three years ago, I'd have given my left BOLLOCK for a thread like this.

(if anyone wanted it)

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Re- "So that will be ignoring the bar being put into the North Stand cunningly called the Supporters' Bar and the concourse bars with a requirement of the brewer to supply a real ale and/or guest beers and the two Executive Club bars and the six other hospitality bars and the fact that bars will be open in the concourses after the game and that the concourses will be as far away from "lager in a thin plastic cup under a concreate (sic) and iron work roof" as you could imagine. Apart from that not a bad thread."

I so hope you are right, went to stamford bridge for the first time in 25 years on saturday and it was exactly like that, massive concrete aircraft hangar type concourse with no seats at all, very cold and no atmosphere with lager or nothing much else and very overpriced food, 1 burger and chips and 1 hotdog cost me £9.50! And the chips were oven-chips!!Yuk

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I dont drink ale, but dont they need looking after so to speak. Arent they going to be worse off having been left for 10-14 days at a time between games?

At least with bitch piss like carling or fosters, it tastes crap anyway, so it doesnt matter if its left alone.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Does there have to be just one? We had more than that when I was at Uni .... unless the same bar just looked different on different days, and I was too drunk to know where I was. Possible!!

Closer inspection suggests there are two bars at Sussex, and one "nightclub".

I think the other one was unprofitable because people just chose to drink in town instead - there aren't many Brighton University halls at Falmer.

I suppose they might have a change of heart...but I doubt it.

Oct 25, 2003
I dont drink ale, but dont they need looking after so to speak. Arent they going to be worse off having been left for 10-14 days at a time between games?

At least with bitch piss like carling or fosters, it tastes crap anyway, so it doesnt matter if its left alone.

exactly, i don't fancy the club CRIPPLING themselves by running an unprofitable bar which is only used once (or twice) a fortnight for a few hours

NO-ONE is gonna go there unless there's a game on

NO-ONE

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
We've got a blank sheet of paper, and a glorious opportunity for a football club to finally offer some decent ales. The fact that other clubs don't offer anything other than what you've listed is another issue.

Is it another issue though?

There's presumably a reason why virtually no football clubs offer real ales, and I imagine it's a financial one....

edit: or it might be for reasons Mendoza suggests!

They sell Tetleys at the New Den, if that's any good to you! :thumbsup:

oh no! they're not going to have real ales! this is literally the END OF THE WORLD :ohmy:

oh wait, no, no it isn't:facepalm:

In one!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

especially if there is not a great demand for them

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So that will be ignoring the bar being put into the North Stand cunningly called the Supporters' Bar and the concourse bars with a requirement of the brewer to supply a real ale and/or guest beers and the two Executive Club bars and the six other hospitality bars and the fact that bars will be open in the concourses after the game and that the concourses will be as far away from "lager in a thin plastic cup under a concreate (sic) and iron work roof" as you could imagine. Apart from that not a bad thread.

are you suggesting the original poster is talking out of thier arse? that this thread is just one big fishing tread? well, seems it was good bait.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
So that will be ignoring the bar being put into the North Stand cunningly called the Supporters' Bar and the concourse bars with a requirement of the brewer to supply a real ale and/or guest beers and the two Executive Club bars and the six other hospitality bars and the fact that bars will be open in the concourses after the game and that the concourses will be as far away from "lager in a thin plastic cup under a concreate (sic) and iron work roof" as you could imagine. Apart from that not a bad thread.

Ha, cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here