Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus: "I know what I've got to change for next season."

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You didn't.

The first word was a response to your post - the rest was a more general point in response to some others.

Fair enough, it just seems the expectation from fans around where we are is vastly more than we are achieving at present

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Liam Trotter is a good shout. I would love to get him down here for next season.
He's one of the few players in this league that I really rate, and that includes some of the ex-premiership pansies. I think he would fit well into our style of play and Millwall aren't going to set the world alight, are they.

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
He needs to buy a goal scorer and then get the rest of the team to pass to him.
Preferably not when he is all alone in a 30 yard radius with 2, 6 foot 4 centre backs, eating him for breakfast.

Alternatively he could just get the team to play with our current goal scorers.

Think Gus will offload one or two of our wingers as Gus said yesterday that we have to many wingers which doesn't sound good. How many we got? Thought we only had 3. Maybe he should of said we've got to many midfielders.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
We need a player in the Liam Trotter mould, someone direct who can bully defenders. Probably a big Central defender, Not a massive fan of Greer. Mattock needs to sign, Reyes can go back to West Brom, Vokes needs to go back. Flog CMS for whatever we can get. Sell Barnes, Bergkamp, Harley, Painter, Vincelot, Hoskins, Navarro, Brezovan, Ankergren and then we may get somewhere. Have too many players who are not good enough in this league. Had he had a decent Goalkeeper we would be at least 10 points better off. The problem is i don't trust gus to spend our Money.

So you genuinely think we should sell/release/send back 12 of our first team? And you don't trust Gus to spend money? How else is he going to replace that decimated squad?

Gonzalez
Mattock (if signed) Greer Dunk El-Abd Calderon
Bridcutt Dicker Sparrow Vicente (if renewed) Buckley Noone LuaLua
Agdestein.

That's your starting squad before he has to go out and sign people. Jesus. :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So every manager has a 100% record in the transfer market? Even with pots and pots of cash managers get it wrong. Gus has a limited budget I am sure if he had a never ending stream of cash our starting 11 at the beginning of the season would have been totally different.

You missed off Vicente, I can't wait to hear your opinion of him?
He'll always miss off Vicente as he was wildly wrong about how many starts he would have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Think Gus will offload one or two of our wingers as Gus said yesterday that we have to many wingers which doesn't sound good. How many we got? Thought we only had 3. Maybe he should of said we've got to many midfielders.

You're taking that completely out of context. He is also classing Vicente as a left winger.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Liam Trotter is a good shout. I would love to get him down here for next season.
He's one of the few players in this league that I really rate, and that includes some of the ex-premiership pansies. I think he would fit well into our style of play and Millwall aren't going to set the world alight, are they.
Two players really impressed me from Millwall at the Amex, Liam Trotter, and Andy Keogh. Both would be good signings for us.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
So you genuinely think we should sell/release/send back 12 of our first team? And you don't trust Gus to spend money? How else is he going to replace that decimated squad?

Gonzalez
Mattock (if signed) Greer Dunk El-Abd Calderon
Bridcutt Dicker Sparrow Vicente (if renewed) Buckley Noone LuaLua
Agdestein.

That's your starting squad before he has to go out and sign people. Jesus. :facepalm:

I must admit, i do like the look that squad :) Obviously we need to sign players. Just dont trust Gus to do that. This is a man who chased Hoskins for a over a year, a man who smashed our transfer record to buy a league 1 striker who could not score in a brothel. No i dont trust him

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You're taking that completely out of context. He is also classing Vicente as a left winger.
What is the context, I haven't seen those comments.

My view was always that Cardiff made a great offer for Noone that we should have accepted... but too many wingers, really? Gus just needs to make his mind up about them rather than starting line up one game, out of the squad the next.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I must admit, i do like the look that squad :) Obviously we need to sign players. Just dont trust Gus to do that. This is a man who chased Hoskins for a over a year, a man who smashed our transfer record to buy a league 1 striker who could not score in a brothel. No i dont trust him
Also the man who signed Vicente, Buckley, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Greer, Calderon etc etc
Obviously he's made some not so good signings, all managers do, especially up front which is something he needs to correct.
and this is a man who took us from average League One side to the top half of the Championship in two seasons, are people really not willing to let him continue to build the squad? I just can't.... who would you rather have as our manager, it doesn't make sense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is the context, I haven't seen those comments.

My view was always that Cardiff made a great offer for Noone that we should have accepted... but too many wingers, really? Gus just needs to make his mind up about them rather than starting line up one game, out of the squad the next.

There's no injuries so using the players who are more likely to keep the ball although it is difficult as Poyet changes direction a couple of times in that sentence. My take on it is that some wingers can defend better than others as well as going forward.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
for me its not major changes but minor amendments

1. Give Brez a new contract as No 2 say thanks but see ya to Casper, Poke, Gonzalez and then go and get a new No 1 (would like Fraser Forster or similar)
2. Get a new left back (whether that is Mattock I don't know) and say goodbye to Painter.
3. Bring in a new right back to replace or atleast add competition for Calde (maybe Reyes but not based on his 2nd loan spell).
4. Hope Reading come back in for CMS, like him but don't think he will ever be the player we need, and use that money to get a Glenn Murray v 2. Someone who can hold up the ball, bring others into play while getting 15-20 goal (easier said than done).
5. Midfield destroyer, a big old unit who will win the ball and then play it simple to the better players to do the creative bits. goodbye to Dicker, Harley, Sparrow (Navs deserves a new contract in my view).

With all that play 2 wingers most of the time whether in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 not only does it allow us to create more but also helps out the full backs. Yesterday had Assulin (not defensive) trying to help out Painter while Calde was left on his own.

I would disagree with your stance on CMS. Gus is a man who spent since January, 2011 trying to sign him as he CAN score some brilliant goals and play in the lone role. What Gus has done is make little too no effort or progress in building a team around him or utilizing him as promised. I will never understand the point of Barnes in that left sided position or Vokes never being on the same football pitch as CMS. What part of the plan to build a team around him does that fall under?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Also the man who signed Vicente, Buckley, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Greer, Calderon etc etc
Obviously he's made some not so good signings, all managers do, especially up front which is something he needs to correct.
and this is a man who took us from average League One side to the top half of the Championship in two seasons, are people really not willing to let him continue to build the squad? I just can't.... who would you rather have as our manager, it doesn't make sense.

Someone with a plan A,B and C, someone who will play to our strengths, someone who wont change a winning team, someone who gives our youngsters a chance. He gave JFC his opportunity, after 2 man of the match performances and 2 important goals he was taken out of the squad and has not been seen since. Lua Lua plays a blinder 1 match then is completely dropped the next. Will Buckley is our best player (vicente aside) and he is constantly on the bench. Barnes is shit every game yet he always starts. The bloke has lost it. As to who i would have as manager, Alan Curbishley. No tantrums, no ego, just gets on with his job. That is what we need

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Excuse the pun but I would question what is proper football, as our fans sung the hilarious we play the ball on the floor and hoof to West Ham we lost 6-0, what does that say ?
Hey I,m not arguing the point about what is proper football I,m just quoting Gus on how he likes the game to be played and why Greer is so highly rated by him though I think he is ordinary when it comes to defending. I,m no football tippy tippy snob trust me.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Someone with a plan A,B and C, someone who will play to our strengths, someone who wont change a winning team, someone who gives our youngsters a chance. He gave JFC his opportunity, after 2 man of the match performances and 2 important goals he was taken out of the squad and has not been seen since. Lua Lua plays a blinder 1 match then is completely dropped the next. Will Buckley is our best player (vicente aside) and he is constantly on the bench. Barnes is shit every game yet he always starts. The bloke has lost it. As to who i would have as manager, Alan Curbishley. No tantrums, no ego, just gets on with his job. That is what we need
Barnes isn't shit every game, that' stupid. Other than that to be honest I agree with your specific points, about Caskey, and LuaLua and Buckley, there's been too much chopping and changing of the wingers, LuaLua imo has been underused all season long but especially since January as he's been excellent virtually every time he's stepped on the pitch but still not been given a proper run of games.

I just don't think one or two relatively minor problems are a reason to get rid of a manager who has done such a stunningly good job overall, who has constantly moved the club upwards, playing a great style of football. It's a problem for me that even a couple of people think it is, because it gives the people who don't have opinion and insist that no one else should either ammunition when people do make legitimite criticisms.

I guess if you would prefer Curbishley you're not someone who complains because of Gus' (supposedly, it's not actually) negative football.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Project Albion

Gus Poyet seems to have a bit of an idealist in him and when things don't go quite right on the day he gets upset. Then he analyses what is going wrong and attempts to correct it. I think we will have a limit of 25 first teamers and there will be changes in the summer.

Statistics will show it is the midfield than is worse than say Watford. Our attack and defence (even over the season with some naff teams out out like Watford away) is better, it is the midfield that is not so good. Even last season we saw that we were vulnerable to hoof it teams and we lost to Hartlepool worse than we lost to Burnley. And Tranmere away was comparable to Millwall away.

Like Cloughie he has a system and players are chosen to fit in with the system. Mullery was a bit more easy going but he still knew what sort of players he wanted. No more journeyman managers for me.

The going rate for really good young players is £10 million each. So we might have to make do with players with potential. Can't spend that sort of money until we get to the promised land.

25 players equals (some utility players can occupy more than one role)

Goalkeepers 3
Central defenders 4
Full backs 4
Midfielders 7 holding 2 central 1 box to box 2 creative 2
Wingers 3
Strikers 4 target 2 poacher 2

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
If Gus thinks he plays, proper football then as far as i'm concerned he can shove it up his arse. 80% of the time there has been nothing to get excited about this season, in terms of the way we play. We set up not to lose games, instead of playing to the strength's of our stronger players and attacking teams. Most of the time all our possesion is in our own half, while the opposition get organised in front of us. The ball does not move quick enough through the midfield...Football is supposed to be entertaining, what we have witnessed 80% of the time this season is not entertainment....49 goals in 43 games, says it all. Only two teams have scored less than us away from home and they are both in the bottom 4.

This poster is a classic example of the keyboard warrior tosspots that people try and remember when we hammer Birmingham ( or the next memorable occasion that Gus provides for BHA) .
In case you hadn't noticed the people dominating the football world right now are the Spanish and Latinos in general. Eventually EVERYBODY will be playing this possession football because the up-and-at-em English style is a busted flush. I don't care if we're crap at it (8th leads me to think we're not) and it takes 10yrs to perfect, IT'S THE RIGHT WAY. Have faith or go and support West Ham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here